We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connections at Zurich Airport

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
899 posts
123 reviews
Connections at Zurich Airport

I am planning a flight to Rome via Zurich from Hong Kong.

Swissair's booking system allows just 1 hour 10 minutes for transfer. Would there be enough time? Do I need to go through passport control at Zurich Airport as I am entering a Schenegan area?

51 replies to this topic
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
42,998 posts
104 reviews
1. Re: Connections at Zurich Airport

Yes, the immigration will be in Zurich.....Zurich is a very efficient airport so the transfer is plenty..unless your flight is late, but then you will get booked on next flight for free.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,684 posts
234 reviews
2. Re: Connections at Zurich Airport

Hi, I wouldn't worry about the connection time as Zurich is one of the best organised airports there is and it's also not very big so it won't be a problem.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,684 posts
234 reviews
3. Re: Connections at Zurich Airport

Also, I love when you take the little train to change terminals and cow bells ring just as you're approaching the terminal it always brings a smile to everyones faces

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
4. Re: Connections at Zurich Airport

Agree with all the good folks here ..Swiss are known for their timeliness and this airport runs like clockwork;-) Zurich (as well as Geneva) are my airports of choice when making connections in Europe coming from the States.. Swiss connections are tried and true so they wouldn't publish/offer them otherwise;-) As mentioned, in case of a miss, as rare as it would be, they would place you on next available.. which doesn't necessarily mean next flight out;-) Enjoy!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,828 posts
118 reviews
5. Re: Connections at Zurich Airport

Very easy airport. As long as your flt is not late you will be fine. As always with tight connections, you have no contingency in case of weather or other delays.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
899 posts
123 reviews
6. Re: Connections at Zurich Airport

Thanks! So 40 minutes would be enough to pass through immigration?

Just in case the first flight is delayed and so miss the second flight, would Swissair put me on flights of other airlines , or divert me to another connection ( say, fly me to Germany and change to Lufthansa to hkg, or fly me to another Swissair destination and then fly me to HKG on another airlines)? Or they will just out me on the next Swiss flight (which means the next day)?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
7. Re: Connections at Zurich Airport

They can do any of the above.. usually working with their co-op network carriers.. in this case, Star Alliance members.. but wouldn't give it much though.. 40 min is plenty of time for immigration;-) At most, it's taken me about 15-20 min.. Keep enjoyin'!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,828 posts
118 reviews
8. Re: Connections at Zurich Airport

In your OP, you said you were going to Rome through Zurich. In post 6, you are asking about going to Hong Kong. Which direction are you going or do you have a round trip? If you are going to Rome, then if you miss the flight in Zurich, it's not bad as there are likely many flights on different airlines from Zurich to Rome. Swiss Air will try to put you on their airline first, but if that does not work, will put you on one of their partners. You may have to ask them to do it, but they should try to get you to Rome as quickly as possible even if that means a different airline or even an extra stop.

If you're going to HKG, I'd want more time. International flights tend to board earlier. You'd still probably make it, but probably there are not many flights each day from Zurich to Hong Kong. So now if you get stuck, you're very likely looking at an overnight delay. Swiss Air will still put you on a partner airline or fly you to another stop if that is the best option, but there will be fewer options..

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
899 posts
123 reviews
9. Re: Connections at Zurich Airport

Thanks! I'm going to do a round trip transfer at Zurich. So, I would need to pass through immigration at Zurich for both ways. Especially for the trip from Rome to HKG, as wes032 pointed out, I would have little time in case of delay.

After reading the replies and checking the schedule, I am thinking of doing the return flight from Florence Airport instead of Rome. It will give me 2 hours for transfer at Zurich, should be more than enough.

By the way, the flight from Rome to Zurich LX 1733 was delayed by 56 minutes on 19 Jan 2014. Would be horrible if I have to connect to a flight to HKG.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
16,791 posts
72 reviews
10. Re: Connections at Zurich Airport

Yes, you do immigration at ZRH both ways. Highly efficient. You should not wait in line more than a few minutes. They expedite connections in case of delays, and i have known flights to be held a few minutes while connecting passengers arrive. Baggage has made it too! My fastest connection gate to gate including immigration and the train ride was 20 minutes.

Reply to: Connections at Zurich Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted