We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alpha Flight Guru

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Alpha Flight Guru

I saw their ad ... then read the forum topics here about them ... did not believe the forum (a mistake) ... and decide to test it anyway ...

... so I went and ask them to quote me by leaving a request on their website. They call me back while I was driving ... ok, I can use my Bluetooth hands-free ... the operator asked first me at what mode do I normally travel (does it matter?) - I said sometimes economy or premium economy ... the operator said they specializes in Business and First Class travels (duh ... for not asking me why I call and double duh for assuming I am used to economy class) ... by this time, all the red flags are going up - I mean it is not a scam so far but how about getting to the meat of providing a quote???

(still driving) ... then the operator went on (finally) to quote me a price at $3,XXX for round trip Business Class with JAL for YVR <--> HKG for an October 8 departure and returning on October 22. More on the price below ...

I said okay, since I am driving, can they send me this quote by e-mail. The operator replied yes. So after I got home and checked the e-mail - no quote, just a courtesy e-mail with contact information. Ah ...... okay ....

I e-mail back asking for the quote.

The reply was ... and I quote, "As it turn out I wouldn’t be able to save you money on this particular itinerary. ...."

They are telling the truth but it means that they cannot save money as claimed?

So, the verdict is a definite no ... they are not really there to even commit to a quote regardless of all the poor reviews in other parts of this forum. The real kicker is that I have flown JAL Business Class on the same route for 20%+ LESS than what they quoted me verbally. My flight was during high season too - and not the low season in mid-October for the quote. The price should be below $2,000 given the fact that it is low season and I paid $2,XXX during high season before with a regular travel agency. Granted, JAL was providing a discount at that point when I flown but if the first digit of the price is not a "2", I figure they cannot produce discount Business / First Class fares like they claim to do.

That in itself is bad. The whole process is full of holes and contradiction?

106 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alpha Flight Guru

Thanks for posting your experience, other than poor customer service,there is a benefit in this story, which is at least they were honest they could not supply.

Every cloud ....

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,515 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alpha Flight Guru

>>>Every cloud ....<<<

....has negotiable frequent flyer miles?

Tuncurry, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alpha Flight Guru

I have just posted a positive review of another similar company regarding my recently completed first class flight. I should state that I have no experience with this company but a few days ago travelled in first class with a lady who had booked through Alpha flight guru. She was extremely happy with the deal/service she received. I value the advice I receive on tripadvisor greatly and always check hotel reviews before booking. I am not a prolific writer of reviews, nor do I have any other knowledge of this company (good or bad) other than the discussion I had with my fellow traveller. My experience with a similar business was positive and I hope yours is as well!

Shoalhaven...
Level Contributor
2,822 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alpha Flight Guru

I cannot believe that they responded to you saying that they could not help you on that particular route. I suppose you were expecting them to string you along...?

Also, how dare they make a courtesy call to you to ascertain further information after YOUR initial contact with them. They should have known you were driving at the time.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alpha Flight Guru

I agree with Douglass4, its shocking that they didn't track your movements and only call you when you were stationary at traffic lights. I don't believe I've read such a shocking customer care story here, reinforced by the fact they brazenly said that for your particular flight they couldn't come up with a better deal. Truly appalling, they should obviously have sold you a ticket at a loss if need be.

However, I believe, with the right counseling, you will make a full recovery.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alpha Flight Guru

Do we really need another thread?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alpha Flight Guru

I think in this case, given the trauma the OP received, yes.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1 post
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alpha Flight Guru

I was set to leave on a lecture tour of Korea and China on the 30th of Sept., 2013. On the 27th, my bag was stolen with everything in it. My passport, license, computer, presentations and backup drives, everything. I called Amex and cancelled my flight. I got an appointment for Tuesday, the 1st. of Oct. at the local passport office. That was the day the government shut down. Luckily, I was able to get a new passport by that afternoon. I called the local China visa service and found that it would take 4 days to get a new visa for China. I booked a flight to San Francisco from Seattle and spent Thursday at the China Consulate. I first got up to the window after a 3 hour wait and was told that if I didn't have an itinerary to China, I couldn't get a visa. I returned to the hotel and remembered an email from Alpha Flight Guru. I called and got unbelievable service in making arrangements for a flight to China. I worked with Nick Algier, Remember it was 11am on Thursday, the consulate closes at 2:30pm, I need to leave Saturday and I don't have an itinerary. I spoke with Nick at least 10 times over the next 2 hours and finally got my itinerary sent through on my cell phone while I was waiting in line at the consulate. I was able to get the visa by Friday morning, rush to the airport and return to Seattle to catch a flight the next morning for China. The rest of the trip was un-eventful. I will be eternally grateful to Alpha Flight Guru and Nick for saving what was left of my trip. Not to mention saving me at least $5K for last minute business class tickets. i contacted them again last week for a trip to South America but they told me that I would be just as good getting the tickets on my own, which I appreciate. I will continue to try and give all of my business to Alpha Flight Guru in the future.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,010 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alpha Flight Guru

"I called and got unbelievable service in making arrangements for a flight to China."

Oh it's unbelievable alright.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alpha Flight Guru

Well, I had a really positive experience with Alphaflightguru. I had checked biz-class rates to India from NYC and did not find anything less than $4900 for a Feb 2014 trip. United has the temerity to quote $10000. I contacted Alpha as I had heard about them recently. Received a call the same day, and quotes for $4100 on Delta and Virgin flights and bought the tickets on that day. Everything was fine and on the up and up. Later received a call from their offshoot for Hotels too, but did not use them since I did not need hotels.

Reply to: Alpha Flight Guru
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted