We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overweight Passenger Question

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
381 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Overweight Passenger Question

Hi,

I just have a question about etiquette in regards to overweight passengers.

I've recently lost a lot of weight, and am currently 80kg (176lb).

I'm female, 5'4".

In the past I've always travelled with a partner who never minded if I intruded some into their space during a flight, so I've never had to worry before (and we'd always pick aisle seats or rows were there were only 2 seats so I wouldn't intrude on another passengers space).

I need to travel soon Brisbane - LAX, and I'm extremely concious of the fact that I'm still not exactly small, so am trying to work out if I should buy 2 seats.

There's no way I would be spilling into their seat or over the arm rest or anything, but I'd fill an economy seat - and just so concious of it because I've been a lot larger in the past.

Is there some sort of guide as to what weight a person would be before they SHOULD buy an extra seat?

I haven't flown since I've lost weight so I just don't know how tightly I'd be squeezed in.

I'll be flying Air New Zealand economy (most probably)

Thank you in advance for any info/ideas :)

Thanks!

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,457 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overweight Passenger Question

You ARE NOT large -I am the same height and have been heavier than you -I still easily fitted into an economy seat But alas not in a size 10 dress !

surrey
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overweight Passenger Question

You'll be absolutely fine in an economy seat. If you were going to buy 2 economy seats you might find that 1 seat in Premium economy or even business woul be cheaper.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
381 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overweight Passenger Question

Thank you for saying that!

I'm definitely a lot smaller than I was - just so hard to tell how I'll fit those seats without sitting in one!

My stupid height/weight guide shows me as the upper region of "overweight" on the chart :(

I just would hate to feel like I was the dreaded fat person on the flight, and some poor person is stuck next to me and I'm cringing the whole 16 hours!!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
381 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overweight Passenger Question

Thanks mw104 :)

I had thought of that, and had a look at business class - would be about 3200 as opposed to 2500 for 2 economy (on sale prices). I had not thought of the premium economy....are they much wider? I'll look into that!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
937 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overweight Passenger Question

You'll be pleasantly surprised at how easily you fit in the seat. Well done on your weight loss!

Have a great trip and don't worry!

Chicago
Level Contributor
6,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Overweight Passenger Question

You'll be fine. Keep up the great work - wish I was as diligent (little taller than you, about the same weight)

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,570 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overweight Passenger Question

80Kg even at 5'4" is not that big. You will fit in the seat fine

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
13,998 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overweight Passenger Question

You sound tiny to me ! But if it's really troubling you then do consider premium econ. Slight more space than econ and cheaper than business.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Overweight Passenger Question

You are certainly not big, don't be worried at all, you can fit fine.

Somerset, UK
Level Contributor
489 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Overweight Passenger Question

You'll be fine.