We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomas Cook In-Flight Entertainment??

chocolate-mango
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Thomas Cook In-Flight Entertainment??

We are due to fly to Egypt in a few weeks, with Thomas Cook. We have never travelled with them before, and wanted to know whether they still have in-flight films - Are they free? Or do you have to 'rent' a PSP? With three children to keep entertained for 5 1/2 hours ..... planning and preparation is required!!!!

Any other tips and advice regarding Thomas Cooks Service will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to help :)

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
32,343 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thomas Cook In-Flight Entertainment??

Hi

Thomas Cook do not have any in flight entertainment on anything other than longhaul flights. If you get a wide bodied aircraft you might get lucky and have some, but I wouldn't bank on it. They no longer hire PSP's, so be prepared to entertain yourselves.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thomas Cook In-Flight Entertainment??

All UK flights to Sharm el Sheikh with TCX this summer are scheduled to be flown by Boeing 757-200 aircraft. Depending on the 757 used, you may or may not see ceiling mounted monitors in the aisle, however they will not be used. Thomas Cook ceased renting out PSP's last summer. Take some magazine's, books, and maybe an activity pack for the kids. Portable music and movie players are permitted with earphones. They can not be used during take off and landing, but you would be more than welcome to use them during the cruise phase of the flight.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thomas Cook In-Flight Entertainment??

I have just been made aware that TCX intend to reactivate the IFE on their Boeing 757-200's from June this year. This is a fresh development and cancels out what I advised in my previous post. The rest of the short-haul fleet will remain without it. There are two aircraft within the 757-200 fleet which will not have IFE however. These are G-TCBB and G-TCBC. As all Sharm el Sheikh flights are shcheduled to be flown with 757-200's the chances are very good that you will have IFE if flying after June, unless flying on the two aircraft reg's mentioned.

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
36,346 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thomas Cook In-Flight Entertainment??

Probably the information that you have just been made aware of is to do with the breaking news that Thomas Cook are selling 11 of their Boeing 757 aircraft to Guggenheim Aviation Partners and leasing them back.....they are also selling 6 of their Boeing 767 to Aircastle Advisor (International). ......

http://tinyurl.com/blpc2yu

Angie.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thomas Cook In-Flight Entertainment??

As far as I am aware the Boeing 757-200's always had the IFE fully installed. It was just inactive. The A320s and A321's have had parts of their IFE removed. To save cost and time I believe it was decided to only reactivate it on the 757-200..

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
32,343 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thomas Cook In-Flight Entertainment??

Not sure the reintroduction of IFE has anything to do with the sale and re-lease of aircraft. Some of the aircraft they're selling aren't TC UK anyway and aren't operating out of the UK.

chocolate-mango
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thomas Cook In-Flight Entertainment??

Thanks for all the messages - fingers crossed the IFE will be made available again in time for our trip. Having travelled on several long haul and Medium haul flights with the children, I am pretty much out of 'new ideas' to entertain them!! Will get the thinking cap on just in case :)

Livingston, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,040 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thomas Cook In-Flight Entertainment??

I read somewhere else where a Mum posted that she lets her older kid pick a new game for their psp/ds and the younger an activity/favourite magazine which they are not allowed until the plane has taken off - not sure what happens on the way home mind!!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thomas Cook In-Flight Entertainment??

is there ife on thomas cook flight to sharm ?

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
32,343 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thomas Cook In-Flight Entertainment??

It depends on which aircraft operates the flight. The wide bodied have IFE, as do all bar two of the 757's. The A320/1 doesn't.

If you prebook seats, the seating plan should tell you which type of aircraft it is.