We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Did I witness a theft?

Youngstown, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Did I witness a theft?

Just returned from a great week at the Golden Parnassus. It was the first time we flew on Frontier Air. It was a great non-stop flight to-from Cleveland.

We traveled with 3 other couples. While at the Frontier window at CUN we were in the process on getting our boarding passes, and checking our luggage for the return trip. One of our travel party was at the window next to me, and upon checking his two bags, he paid the $40 fee with two $20usd bills. I watched the agent place the 2 bills on the counter and then about 30 seconds later he scooped the bills up and slid them into his front pants pocket.

I paid with a credit card, as I always do, and after all of our group was processed, I told everyone what I saw. A different couple in our party said they paid in cash also, and the agent they used pulled a stack of bills out of his pocket, added the newly received bills to his stack and returned them all to his pocket.

I might add that the first party did NOT get a receipt for the bags, other than the stubs from the bag tags. The second party that paid in cash did get a receipt, as did all others in our group.

Was this a theft? Or are there no cash drawers at the window? Just curious? Should I contact Frontier, as I know the window number/date/time that this happened?

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Did I witness a theft?

Slight of hand for sure..........lol

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,839 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Did I witness a theft?

Hard to say. Perhaps they do not have secure cash drawers.

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
186 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Did I witness a theft?

Maybe he was collecting all the cash in his shift.

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,100 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Did I witness a theft?

Who knows!!!! They do things different in Mexico!!

Florida
Level Contributor
6,581 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Did I witness a theft?

Nah, there is no corruption or anythingbad that ever happens like that in Cancun, only in the rest of Mexico

Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,941 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Did I witness a theft?

I was under the impression, that they did not accept USD at the ticket counters..CC or pesos..Maybe things have changed..I never exceed the baggage limit since they have been charging..

Youngstown, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Did I witness a theft?

This was my first time with baggage fees also. Always flew Continental or USA3000 previously. Always had fee bags.

Frontier just began Cleveland flights as an Apple charter, but we bought seats through Frontier rather than Apple. Saved a bunch vs Apple or United/Continental and still had non-stop, but had to pay $20 for 1st bag.

Edited: 29 April 2012, 00:53
Youngstown, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Did I witness a theft?

Sorry....should have read "always had FREE bags"

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Did I witness a theft?

report it, especially if you have the agents name. i know this happens all the time and your situation is exactly how they do it. here in the states, the ticket counter agents usually target those that don't speak much english or any at all who pay in cash. always get a receipt or pay with credit card. i also know of upgrade transactions that take place in the jetway when the boarding door is closed. a passenger behind me inquired about first class and the agent told them it would be such and such amount and that he only would accept cash. i know this particular airline does not accept cash at the gates, only credit cards.

KANSAS
Level Contributor
998 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Did I witness a theft?

You would assume someone with the airline would be balancing the amount collected vs bags being loaded on the plane.