We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

eDreams/scam sites/T&Cs and other frequent complaints

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Topic
eDreams/scam sites/T&Cs and other frequent complaints

Hello All--

Forgive me if this idea has already been kicked around. I've been reading a bazillion complaints in multiple threads about eDreams and other third-party online sites. In addition to that there are numerous one-off complaints about how unreliable an airline is/"Never use this company!"/what a rip-off because someone couldn't get a refund on a non-refundable ticket, etc. Both of these topics consistently get the same responses from the regulars on this forum: Book your ticket directly through the airline, and read the Terms and Conditions of your ticket before purchasing!

Has anyone given any thought to compiling a general list of advice either to list under the FAQs/Top Ten questions tab to the right, or pinning this list to continually appear at the top of the forum? For example, on the Sydney forum one of the DEs has pinned a "New Years Eve in Sydney" (no doubt a topic of common interest) thread to the top. Maybe one of the DEs here could write up the most commonly-recurring advice as a Top Ten Airline Travel Tips entry.

--Don't be distracted by "low prices" on dubious online third-party sites; book directly with the airline.

--Don't expect a refund on your non-refundable ticket. Non-refundable means just that.

--Buy travel insurance in case you have to cancel your non-refundable ticket.

Of course all this information is accessible if people do some degree of research prior to their trip, and search through the forum to see what they can find. But perhaps people who aren't as well-versed and experienced with travel may not think to look up if the company they're about to book tickets with is a scam or not. I think it's possible, right or wrong, that people may spend time researching their destination and it may not occur to them that they need to research the ticket company as well (especially in the case of the one (name slips my mind at the moment) cited in one of the recent threads here as being linked in with kayak.com). In this case they might benefit from something visible to them right at the top of the forum that they don't have to search for.

Woooooo....in 'preview' mode this is long, so my apologies for that, but thank you for reading.

Just some ideas for consideration.....Safe and Happy Travels to All.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,588 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: eDreams/scam sites/T&Cs and other frequent complaints

Whilst I would not disagree with your OP I think the basic problem comes down to the fact that too many consumers are seduced by a "low price" and forget everything else.

Whilst price is of course an important factor it is not the only one that passengers need to consider when purchasing any product including an airline ticket.

I'm afraid in some cases that passengers have put themselves in the position of having problems by ignoring everything other than price and I'm sure this will continue regardless of whatever advice is given.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
27,994 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: eDreams/scam sites/T&Cs and other frequent complaints

There's no way this thread could be stickied, or posted on the right, because of the title. However strongly some of us may feel about the company you've mentioned, for TA to permanently link - aka publish, or associate- them with the second word, could open them up to lawsuits.

While I agree some advice articles would be useful, Any other articles, these would also have to be very carefully worded.

Edited: 26 April 2012, 13:36
UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: eDreams/scam sites/T&Cs and other frequent complaints

Yes, USBT's thoughts were exactly what occurred to me. Its one thing for a poster to say "don't use Acme Flights" (for whatever reason, right or wrong), whilst IANAL it must be another thing legally for there to be a sticky effectively endorsed by TA saying "Don't use Acme Flights" .

Also, and here's the Catch 22, the sort of people you'd want to read that sticky, wouldn't read it ahead of time because they book first question later anyway.

Not to mention, if they did then have a bad experience and come and post here, a pound to a penny they STILL wouldn't read the sticky :-)

Finally, whilst most of us do say book with the airline direct, there are some reputable booking companies out there, and there are times or occasions when a bargain is to be had, so a blanket "never book with a third party" would IMO be misleading.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,326 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: eDreams/scam sites/T&Cs and other frequent complaints

Hi,

I might go for something like a list of where to find the the major carriers T&C's/CoC's.. or even some general pre-travel tips...

But I do think that the odds that it will be read PROactively is slim.. The unfortunate reality is that a large percentage come here only AFTER the mistake or situation is/has already developed-- making this kind of information kind of 'reverse-looking' per se.

What I think might be useful, is some tips as to how to address some of the more common post-travel issues like:

==> Non-contractual service issues (missing meals, inoperable IFE, seating)

==> Contractual service issues (denied boarding & any required compensation)

==> Baggage Issues (delayed, damaged and lost)

These items tend to have objective answers that are rooted in either the airlines own CoC, one of the major Aviation Convention agreements or regional/national consumer law.

Travel Safe,

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: eDreams/scam sites/T&Cs and other frequent complaints

Thank you all for your thoughts. USBT, I hadn't intended that this specific post be pinned to the top--rather that someone could write a coherent list of general advice commonly given on this forum.

>>>Also, and here's the Catch 22, the sort of people you'd want to read that sticky, wouldn't read it ahead of time because they book first question later anyway.

People probably do come here more often after the fact so I do think you are right that something like that would not be read proactively.

Happy Travels.

6. Re: eDreams/scam sites/T&Cs and other frequent complaints

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 10:48