We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transfer & clearance at dublin

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
525 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
transfer & clearance at dublin

Flying Edinburgh to Boston via Dublin, know from other posts our luggage will go straight through having been photographed in Edinburgh but wondered if 1hr 25 mins is enough time to get through immigration? We have missed the opportunity to take the earlier flight from Edinburgh & only flight left on our chosen date is 11.40am flight to Boston leaves at 14.pm

Thanks

Rettie

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,314 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: transfer & clearance at dublin

Yes, it's changed in 10 years. A new terminal, for one thing. Clearing Immigration AND Customs for another. An entirely new facility with a bit more than two desks. :)

I don't know how bad the queues can get considering the fairly limited number of people going through the thing. I've been through twice and it was only 1 or 2 flights at a time being called.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
66 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: transfer & clearance at dublin

I did this in September from Bristol to New York via Dublin on a 1hr 25min connection. As others have said, it is do-able as long as you go straight to the other terminal on arrival in Dublin. Also make sure you are given boarding passes for both flights when you check in in Edinburgh. I wasn't, which caused a slight panic and delay.

Coming back, the same connection time wasn't so successful. My flight from New York was an hour late taking off. We made up some time on the flight and I managed to be first off the plane so made my flight to Bristol with minutes to spare. My luggage, however, did not, as I expected. It was delivered to me later that evening, though, so worked out fine in the end.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
525 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: transfer & clearance at dublin

Thanks Lork, just what I needed to know. We will have both boarding passes as I think we can print them on line.

Did you get a help from the hurricanes like some people seem to have had on the way back?

We have 3 hrs on the return, coming back via Shannon for best price. Will now get on phone & get them booked. Will also see if I can get seats near exit, we won't have much in the way of handbaggage going out, just my handbag & my hubbies wee shoulder bag.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
66 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: transfer & clearance at dublin

I didn't experience any hurricanes as my trip was back in September but the Aer Lingus staff I encountered in Dublin were extremely helpful and managed to sort my boarding pass problem out easily.

This was my first connecting flight so I was a little apprehensive regarding the connection times, etc, but it seems to work well and I would definitely do it again if the price was right. It's certainly a lot easier than getting to Heathrow!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
525 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: transfer & clearance at dublin

We always seem to have connecting flights to the States from Edinburgh even when flying Continental to Newark then onto Orlando. We didn't have much time on that one either if I remember correctly, around 90 mins for 6 of us to clear immigration & customs, drop bags off again & go to a completely different area of the airport.

Never missed one yet so keeping fingers crossed.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,295 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: transfer & clearance at dublin

We flew London - Dublin - Boston a couple years ago and indeed, we became stuck at the back of a very long queue in Dublin. However, they had staff patrolling the queue calling out for anyone with a tight transfer time and when we stepped forward, theyrushed us to the head of the queue and we "just" made our flight, thankfully. So, there will be staff there to help.

17. Re: transfer & clearance at dublin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 13:13