We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking a live plant on a plane

South Portland...
Level Contributor
93 posts
34 reviews
Taking a live plant on a plane

I am going to take pansies with me next week on a flight from ABQ to Denver. (No they are not available in CO yet). If I make sure there is no water, wrap them up in plastic and place in a carry one, will TSA allow them thru? Or is is best to put it in my luggage- hopefully they will not get too cold with an hour flight.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
22,888 posts
36 reviews
1. Re: Taking a live plant on a plane

I can't see this being a problem with TSA but you never know with an individual agent.

If you really want to be sure why not wrap them in a moist paper towel inside a bag in your checked luggage - they should be ok on arrival.

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
882 posts
152 reviews
2. Re: Taking a live plant on a plane

The Transportation Security Administration does not include most plants on the "Prohibited Items" list, making them easy to travel with in the United States -- within reason. Plants that break other rules, like ones carrying too much water or exceeding the carry-on size limit imposed by your airline, may be rejected either by the TSA or at your airline gate. If you wish to bring your plant from an international destination, you will be subject to inspection by the U.S. Customs and Border Patrol.

Packing Plants:

Keep your plant level and covered while you are traveling. Bring a plate or a level surface upon which to rest the base of the plant and wrap it in a plastic bag to avoid spilling soil in the plane. If you plan to store the plant under your seat or in an overhead compartment, make sure it is securely stowed and unable to topple or spill on a neighboring passenger's luggage.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
40,818 posts
39 reviews
3. Re: Taking a live plant on a plane

There are certain states that prohibit carrying certain plants across their borders. This is to prevent the spread of insects. ( usually the Japanese Beetle) Check with Colorado and make sure no such restrictions exist.

4. Re: Taking a live plant on a plane

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2013, 00:45