We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Onthebeach/Thomas Cook

lancashire england
Level Contributor
88 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Onthebeach/Thomas Cook

Just a word of warning. We have booked with Onthebeach many times and had no problems. However, this time we needed to contact them and were expected to pay 50p a minute for the privilege. The emails I sent them were occasionally responded to. They have now just sent us the Thomas Cook flight tickets for next Saturday with the wrong flight times on and I can just see us having to pay charges to change transfer arrangements etc. at our destination. All in all the prices are cheap but it is probably worth paying more to someone else and not having to spend hours and hours in the weeks beforehand checking up on everything............

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
18,015 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Onthebeach/Thomas Cook

On The Beach Customer Services/Aftersales - 0161 448 4621 ;-)

London
1 post
Save Reply
12. Re: Onthebeach/Thomas Cook

Booked a holiday with OnTheBeach yesterday, after hours of searching and decision-making. All booked, deposit paid. Received a call today saying the airline couldn't offer the flights at that price and that we had to pay an extra £250 or lose the holiday.

I booked a holiday with Onthebeach two years ago, spoke to a very helpful woman and was extremely happy with the holiday; this time went on hold for 23 minutes at 10p per minute, only to be cut off twice when I finally got through. Customer services? Forget it - all there is is a 'virtual' travel agent to answer one-sentence queries only. No humans and no help - unless you want to run up your phone bill. Onthebeach appears to have developed some underhand practices which may make them money but will not lead to customer loyalty. Honesty is far preferable. Shame on them.

lancashire england
Level Contributor
88 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Onthebeach/Thomas Cook

Hi Ida L. I totally agree. We have just returned from our third holiday with On the Beach. Our first experience went wiothout a hitch and we praised them to all our friends. We happily therefore booked a second and a third within a couple of months of each other. The problems started just before we were ready to depart for our second holiday when we were not notified of a change to the time of our flight and only found out within days when we had already arranged transferred etc. The cost of ringing them which is advertised at 50p a minute is scandalous. I notice it is 10p a minuite to actually book a holiday. I therefore email them on their system and it takes at least 48 hours to get a reply or not at all as in my recent experience. The holiday we have just returned from was marred by them wanting a £55 fee to add an extra case to our booking. The airline only wanted the flat fee of £25 and we could pay when we arrived at the airport. Anyway they have lost our custom from now on .....

lancashire england
Level Contributor
88 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Onthebeach/Thomas Cook

Thanks for the 0161 number even tho I won t be needing it any more...wish I d had it when I was an On the Beach Customer.....

Edited: 26 February 2012, 18:57
wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Onthebeach/Thomas Cook

According to threads on other TA forums OTB charge heavily for subsequent amendments to pre-booked holidays.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
33,183 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Onthebeach/Thomas Cook

They certainly do! To be fair they are clearly stated in their t&c's.

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,243 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Onthebeach/Thomas Cook

As has been said many many times, book direct with the airlines and hotels and avoid all these hassles with 3rd party agents.

Yeovil, United...
Level Contributor
3,926 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Onthebeach/Thomas Cook

Well, it has been said many many times before, but do people listen! No they don't and that's why they continue to have problems with these 3rd party facilitators/agents.

As 'crazypom' says - book direct to take control of your own holiday and to cut out the risk of the potential problems so often highlighted on this forum.

lancashire england
Level Contributor
88 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Onthebeach/Thomas Cook

thanks npj60. as seasoned travellers we appreciate the

benefits of booking independently and have done so often for both long haul touring hols and trips all over Europe. however on each occasion with on the beach they could better any deal we could find. It's a pity their service has been so poor otherwise we would have continued to use them....

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
39,351 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Onthebeach/Thomas Cook

Too simplistic in my view to say "always" book direct. It depewnds on many factors, particularly destination and availability and suitability of flights. It is fanciful to suggest that the perceived advantages of booking direct with a hotel outweigh the often significant savings that can be made through booking with an agent. The important thing is to research the agents with as much diligence as you would the hotels. Most often complaints not surprisingly arise when something goes wrong or less surprisingly but frequently when people have simply not read T&Cs before confirming a booking. Using Vayamar for flights springs to mind.