We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madrid airport - is this enough time between flights?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
589 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Madrid airport - is this enough time between flights?

Hi, My son and his girlfriend have to go from Gran Canaria to Lisbon. One of the options is to get two separete tickets: Spanair and Easyjet. They would have 2 hours in Madrid to claim theri bag and check in again. The other solution is Air Europe with one ticket via Madrid as well. The reviews of Air Europe are really bad and the next day they have to catch their transatlantic flights from Lisbon.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Madrid airport - is this enough time between flights?

The problem with two separate tickets is if you arrive late and miss your next flight, you are out-of-luck and will be stuck purchasing a new ticket at the walkup fare, if there are even any available.

'

I would usually prefer traveling on one ticket, which gives you some protection if there are any problems. This is such a short flight, how great does the service have to be? I wouldn't really be that concerned about Air Europa reviews.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,222 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Madrid airport - is this enough time between flights?

I would take the Air Europa flights. Their 9.55am from TFN arrives at MAD at 13.40 and connects to a 14.50 to LIS. If there are any delays their connection is protected and there's a later MAD-LIS flight at 18.35.

Kayak is quoting $136 US via Orbitz. But personally I'd book directly with the airline unless the price difference is astronomical.

There's also a somewhat more expensive through ticket ($379) on SpanAir via Barcelona.

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,301 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Madrid airport - is this enough time between flights?

As their transatlantic flight is the next day,they should be ok for that,even if their flight arrives late in Lisbon.Pick the flight to Lisbon you are most comfortable with.They are not long flights,so the poor reviews will have little bearing.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,072 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Madrid airport - is this enough time between flights?

Also take a look at Vueling who will through connect you ( and bags) via Barcelona.

Been flying them recently to Alicante from Amsterdam and they are quickly becoming my favourite budget airline. Allocated seating for free, only €10 per checked bag and they don't seem that fussed about weighing/sizing hand luggage. Friendly staff too.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
589 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Madrid airport - is this enough time between flights?

Hi and thank you all! It's very tempting to book with Air Europa. My concern is not the service. I read that they are notoriously late, sometimes even 10 hours and they cancel flights frequently and their customer service is horrible. I'm wondering if you have any knowledge about this; are these just extreme cases. Also i tried their website and the English language version does not allow me to enter Lisbon as a destination. The Spanish site allows me but i'm afraid to book in Spanish as i'm guessing the questions.

Unfortunately Vueling only offers a late night overnight flight.

Knowing these what would you do? Buy multiple tickets or stick with Air Europa?

6. Re: Madrid airport - is this enough time between flights?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2012, 09:59