We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Domestic layover on international flight

madison, wi
1 post
Save Topic
Domestic layover on international flight

I'm flying from Milwaukee to Athens, Greece with a layover in Philly. The layover is 1 hour and 22 minutes. They say you need 3 hours for international flights, but I assume that applies only to my departure from Milwaukee??

What is the procedure for domestic layovers on international flights, I assume that my bags will be checked through all the way to Athens, and I won't need to go back through security or anything. I'm thinking this should be enough time to make the layover. Thoughts?

Thanks

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,419 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Domestic layover on international flight

You are thinking correctly. Of course there is the risk that I'm not thinking correctly, and we're both wrong...

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,622 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Domestic layover on international flight

Hi,

"... I assume that my bags will be checked through all the way to Athens, and I won't need to go back through security or anything. I'm thinking this should be enough time to make the layover..."

IF you are traveling on ONE ticket-- that is a MKE-ATH ticket with only a connection in PHL, then yes-- both you and your bags will be checked and tagged to ATH for you when you start in MKE.

You don't need to be re-screened in PHL, *so long as* you don't leave the sterile (post security) area.. If you do so, then yes, you and your possessions will need to be re-screened again.

You might find that the airline will do a passport check just before they let you on the plane in PHL, but this is only to be 100% that you in fact have your passport so you can be processed by Greek Immigration officials on arrival.

"... They say you need 3 hours for international flights, but I assume that applies only to my departure from Milwaukee??"

yes.. For the most part, when a suggest or required *check-in time* is mentioned, it refers to the origin or starting point of your trip and not to any en-route connections.. The time that you need for a connection is referred to Minimum Connection Time or MCT..

In most cases when you book trips on-line, the booking engine won't allow you to purposely design a trip that violated the carriers MCT in any city on your itinerary.

Travel Safe,

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Domestic layover on international flight

Hey mkuffa:-) If you're flying on a through ticket, then you'd certainly be able to check luggage through and be covered in case on any incoming delays leading to a miss! If you booked the segments independently, then you'd need to retrieve luggage/go through formalities where 1.5 hours may not make it! Are you flying USAir throughout?! If so, you should certainly be ticketed and tagged all the way through..but do beware that there is only 1 daily flight from Philly to Athens..in case of a miss if delayed getting into Philly, they'd accommodate you the following day! Enjoy Greece~!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,200 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Domestic layover on international flight

If you are flying on the same airline on the same ticket, then you would be fine with the 1:22 connection. You don't really need to arrive 3 hours before your departing flight at Milwaukee. Two hours should be enough and also safe.

5. Re: Domestic layover on international flight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 15:45