We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When measuring carry on luggage...

Coeburn, Virginia
Level Contributor
96 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
When measuring carry on luggage...

Do you include wheels and handles in the L x W x H measurements? My luggage tags says "Courier Carry On" but measures larger if wheels/handle is included.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,242 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When measuring carry on luggage...

Hi,

Yes, airline carry-on/checked baggage measurements almost *always* include handles, wheels and the like.. In essence the measurements are "at the largest point" on each measured side..

So, if your bag is rather full and it measures within limits at the very top or bottom, but is over limits in the middle (the biggest point), then that's the measurement they'll use..

To be fair, not many airlines use or take actual measurements of carry-on bags.. rather they use a pre-cut and measured 'template' like device- usually made of plastic or steel, which is made to the maximum dimensions allowed..

You'd be asked to see if your bag can fit into the template in it's entirety-- if so, it's within limits and ok... if not, it's over-sized.. Some of these same templates also have scales to check for weight (if applicable).

Travel Safe,

Edited: 01 May 2010, 08:27
Coeburn, Virginia
Level Contributor
96 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When measuring carry on luggage...

I'm flying United and nothing is mentioned on the website about wheels etc. What happens if it doesn't fit? Do I have to go back and check it or will I do it all at the same place?

Sorry for silly questions but I've flown very little and it has been several years.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,242 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When measuring carry on luggage...

Hi,

Most UA stations have the "sizers" I spoke of earlier, either at the check-in counter, gate or both.... This is how you or UA would know it's over-sized..

That said, almost all US airlines, United included, are **woefully** non-compliant and lacking with the consistent and even enforcement of their own carry-on baggage policies-- both in size and count.. this is a constant source of frustration for both passengers and crew alike.

*But*.. be aware that some airlines and at some stations do watch closer than others.. and if it's detected (at the gate) that it's over-sized or you're over your permitted allowance, it would normally be taken from you involuntarily and checked into the cargo compartment as checked baggage.

I mention this as a precaution in case your over-sized bag has valuables such as money, electronics and the like.. These items can inherently fragile and/or high value.. and if lost, damaged or stolen, the airline won't compensate you as it's excluded from their Contract of Carriage..

Travel Safe,

Edited: 01 May 2010, 09:49
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
24,985 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When measuring carry on luggage...

United's size is 56x36x23 cm (9x14x22) with no given weight. It is one of the more generous ones. You may also carry on a handbag, purse, briefcase or laptop. Most airlines say it should include wheels and handles in the dimensions. My personal search has shown that there are very few so-called carry-on bags that meet the requirements of all airlines.

5. Re: When measuring carry on luggage...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2010, 09:47