We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 Euro name change on Ryanair- Surely Not?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,542 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
10 Euro name change on Ryanair- Surely Not?

I booked a couple of flights for a friend on Ryanair Eindhoven to Girona as he did not have a credit card. Unfortunately he did not tell me that his Cuban wife had decided to keep her own name and not his so I obviously booked using his last name. I actually booked these flights a couple of months ago but for reasons known to him he decided to wait until today to tell me this and they fly on Thursday.

Anyway on the website it says that a name change is 100 euros and I'm always reading here about Ryanair's inflexibility etc. She recently got a Dutch national ID card but that as well as her passport has her maiden name on them. The only thing they have is their marriage certificate. I feared the worst. Booking another flight this late in the day was going to be over 200 euros. Alternate carriers were also a no go.

Anyhow he called customer services and actually got through more or less right away. They then told him that it would be no problem to “alter” the name at the airport for just 10 euros by going to the Ryanair desk with the marriage certificate. Now I may be an old cynic but I doubt it will be that simple and I fear that they might get to the airport and be levied the full 150 euro airport name change fee. I mean although she can prove who she is and that they are married to my mind an alteration is a change. I mean it’s not just a Sue to Susan or Rich to Richard it’s a Surname change.

My question to my fellow travelers is has anyone ever done this with Ryanair and do you think they will get away with this alteration for 10 euros?

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,309 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 Euro name change on Ryanair- Surely Not?

> My question to my fellow travelers is has anyone ever done this with Ryanair and do you think they will get away with this alteration for 10 euros?

I do get the feeling that Ryanair has finally been stung by a lot of the criticism and is trying to show a more human face. (A recent, not much reported example is to allow a 15kg weight allowance when you pay for a second bag, giving you 30kgs total. OK, the send bag is £35 instead of £15, but it's a lot less than £150 for being 15kgs overweight.)

I think the reason for the lower fee is that it is the same passenger involved. You are not trying to sell or give away your ticket to someone else, which is what the high name-change fee is designed to avoid. Say, for example, you bought a £10 ticket. Near the flight time, the fare has gone up to £50. You advertise your ticket for £25. A good deal for you and the buyer, but not the airline, unless there is a stiff penalty for changing the name. Since this is clearly not what you are trying to do here, it seems there is some flexibility.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,542 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 Euro name change on Ryanair- Surely Not?

I hope so WV. Was not aware that they actually had any sort of conscience or that they had changed the rule about a second bag. 15kg of luggage for 35 quid. What a bargain :-)

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 Euro name change on Ryanair- Surely Not?

For the latest analysis of Ryanair, see the Panorama programme on the airline at 8.30 p.m. on BBC1 tonight.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,309 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 Euro name change on Ryanair- Surely Not?

www.ryanair.com/site/EN/faqs.php?sect=CHARGES

I'm not sure if it's so much a conscience as the belated realisation that they can't expect to have many passengers left if they keep going the way they are. The only reason they are growing passenger numbers is by adding routes. There will be a diehard core of Ryanair fans who will fly with them no matter what, and many people will never have a bad experience with Ryanair. But there is not an infinite pool of replacements for those who do experience the downside (and there are many, many of them) and who decide never to use Ryanair again. Some things are more important than saving a few pennies, and cheap doesn't have to be nasty.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,542 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 Euro name change on Ryanair- Surely Not?

Insightful I posted about this program last week actually so thanks but I already know its on.

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,078 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 Euro name change on Ryanair- Surely Not?

presumably, if you've printed out your boarding cards to save the fee they levy for not printing them at home, you will need to get a new one in the correct name at the airport... I wonder if they will sting you for this or is it included in the name change fee?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,542 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 Euro name change on Ryanair- Surely Not?

Well it's not me it a friend of mine and yes customer services told him to print out the boarding passes as normal with the name even if it is incorrect, and they would change it at the airport for 10euros.

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,078 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 10 Euro name change on Ryanair- Surely Not?

wow... wonders will never cease... ;-)

South London
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 10 Euro name change on Ryanair- Surely Not?

Just make sure you have their name and direct line !

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,000 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 10 Euro name change on Ryanair- Surely Not?

Ronaldo please let us know what happens, it will be interesting to see how this turns out, it does seem a little "too good to be true" Like Paulo says they could charge for a reprinted boarding pass.