We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights between US and UK

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
63 posts
84 reviews
Flights between US and UK

I'm relatively new to the forums here and am very new to travel, so please bear with me. I've searched and searched and read tons of info but I'm just not finding quite all the info I need. I'm planning a trip for May/June 2010 from the U.S. to Ireland and England. What I want to do is fly Denver to Shannon - Belfast or Dublin to London - and London back to Denver. I'm hoping someone here can point me in the direction of the best way to book such a flight. Everything I've tried comes up with this trip costing about twice as much as a simple return trip between Denver and Shannon. I really wanted to include London in my trip, but can't if it's going to cost double the airfare. Much of what I've read has said flying into one city and out of another can be cheaper - I'm not finding it. What's the real info on this? and where should I be looking? Oh, I do understand that I should be waiting until Feb/Mar to actually book and fares might change by then.....

Madrid
Level Contributor
156 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: Flights between US and UK

Hey..You dont say what quotes you have come up with so Far...but my suggestion would be you just buy a Roundtrip Ticket to London and from there take one of the cheaper budget airlines like Ryanair to Shannon or you can even go by land

I found a fare on

www.orbitz.com

for $676 on United Airlines traveling in Late May for 3 weeks

Good Luck

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
63 posts
84 reviews
2. Re: Flights between US and UK

Hm, I never even thought of trying that! The best quote I had found searching the way I noted was $1216. I'll broaden my searching - thanks!!

Dallas
Level Contributor
1,547 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: Flights between US and UK

Please make sure you have enough time during layovers! I was to have flown from Dallas to Dublin by way of Boston, but ended up flying Dallas/Boston/Paris/Dublin, while my luggage ended up in India..just because I missed the flight in Boston due to time constraints!

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
63 posts
84 reviews
4. Re: Flights between US and UK

That's an excellent point.... not sure I know what a good time between flights would be though as I've never taken a trip where I had to change planes before.... would 2 hours be enough? What would people recommend?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
647 posts
50 reviews
5. Re: Flights between US and UK

I would stay away from American carriers such as United. No personal TVs in Economy. I would highly recommend British Airways (PTVs) (also nonstop flight) over United despite probably being a bit more expensive (unless they have a promotion).

By the way, BA is a 4-star airline while UA is only 3-stars. However, the money's in your own hands. ;)

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,969 posts
141 reviews
6. Re: Flights between US and UK

We have done ' multiple ' destinations many many times but obviously backwards from that which you are wanting to do... us based here in the UK, travelling to the USA.

I agree with a previous poster who says get a return flight to London, then sort out a cheap flight to your destination in Ireland.

A couple of things spring to mind :

1/ what exactly is your destination in Ireland ? Dublin and Shannon arent really close to each other and Belfast is in another country !!!

2/ The low cost airlines over here, Ryanair and Easyjet, as just 2 examples dont publish their flight schedules on their websites too far in advance. I dont think Ryanair have any May / June flights available yet.

Also, please bear in mind that whilst these guys have exceptionally cheap fares, they hit you for what they class as extras ( bags, check in fees etc ). Also, the airports they operate out of are sometimes a loooong way from the city they are named after !!!

Finally, I have absolutely no idea about their ability to allow non UK based people to book flights with them online ( ALL their bookings etc are online ). Of course, they must have a facility for this, or else they would be losing business.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32 posts
40 reviews
7. Re: Flights between US and UK

Flying with BA means that the majority of other passengers onboard are likely to be EU passport holders. This means you will not join a queue at passport control of several hundred US passengers all arriving on an Americal carrier flight. Also agree with earlier comment - your cheaper fares will be diret US - UK, which has much more competition. There is then lots of competition fares between UK and Ireland to take your pick from.

I always go BA over the Atlantic - only other option in Virgin but not sure if they can do your route.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
63 posts
84 reviews
8. Re: Flights between US and UK

Appreciate all the input! My destinations in Ireland include Belfast (which I know is in Northern Ireland which is part of the U.K., not Ireland), Dublin, and Whitegate which is in the Shannon area - I also want a few days in London. I know that these places aren't close - I'm planning for travel between - at this point I'm not set on which is the best place to initially fly into - and out of at the end of my trip. I need to settle that part before I can go any further with planning the rest.

Does anyone here have any experience of Continental Airlines? The points about BA are great - I hadn't thought of differences in queues!

orlando, FL
2 posts
9. Re: Flights between US and UK

I regularly fly for Orlando to Belfast. Continental airlines are good and reasonably priced. Ususlly fly via New York straight to Belfast, usually the cheapest out there straight into Belfast. Flying in and out of the same city will usually end up being your cheapest option so in my opinion i would probably fly into either Belfast, Dublin or London and fly out from there. Book your internal flights from UK to Ireland on one of the cheap carriers like others have said. Ryanair, easyjet, flybe, bmibaby, jet2.com, aerlingus are all carriers to look into, but yes, remember to add on bags at the time of booking and do not go over the weight limit on some of these carriers as they charge you an arm and a leg! When in Ireland then just hire a car and drive where you need to go. Dublin to Belfast is about a 2 hour drive....if you dont get lost! Dublin is a bit tricky to drive in. And from Belfast you can explore the North coast of Ireland which is really nice (weather dependant of course). And if you are up that way do check out my parents Bed and Breakfast. 100% rating on tripadvisor. Search Hilltop lodge in Greencastle, Donegal. Have fun in Ireland! hope this helps

orlando, FL
2 posts
10. Re: Flights between US and UK

Obviously your best option would be to Fly to London, spend a couple days there, easyjet or similar to Belfast, explore there, then drive to Dublin, explore there, then drive to Shannon and fly out from there which would get all your destinations in. You would have to check on price flying into London and then out of Shannon but might be cost effective.