We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I Bring Vitamins in my Carryon in a Ziploc bag?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
250 posts
217 reviews
Save Topic
Can I Bring Vitamins in my Carryon in a Ziploc bag?

Airport security around the world has become such a difficult part of travelling. Who would have thought there would be a day that we couldn't bring a bottle of shampoo in our carryon unless it was in a bottle 100 ml or less??

Anyway, I always carry our prescriptions in our carryon. However ... in the past I have packed our various vitamins in a ziploc bag (pills loose and mixed up). With airlines losing luggage on a regular basis, I don't want to pack my vitamins. There are too many to bring in their original bottles. My question is - Will I have problems (in any airport) around the world if my vitamins are in a ziploc bag in my carryon?????

DC
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I Bring Vitamins in my Carryon in a Ziploc bag?

I do it all the time and I've never had a problem. If I have a problem, there are drug stores at my destination, so it's worth the risk. That's the difference between prescriptions and vitamins.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,664 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I Bring Vitamins in my Carryon in a Ziploc bag?

While nobody can guarantee you won't run into a power intoxicated moron, you should certainly be fine with them in your carry on.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,078 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I Bring Vitamins in my Carryon in a Ziploc bag?

I carry vitamins and non prescription meds(aspirin etc)in a baggy all the time with noone ever even asking about them. I only travel with carryon so it all comes on the plane with me. IF you look like you are bringing in stuff to sell in LARGE quantities then maybe you'd have a prob?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,578 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I Bring Vitamins in my Carryon in a Ziploc bag?

Hi,

From a security stand point, hard pills are not included in the Liquid, Gel or Aerosol (LAG) limits imposed.. Be sure to note that if your medications are liquid filled soft-gel caps then they would be included in the LGA categories, unless properly exempted.

In most airports there is a clear line between the security function and the law enforcement function. The aforementioned is my opinion on the security aspect.

That said, from a law enforcement perspective basis, you many want to be sure that you can provide reasonable documentation as to what the pills are just in case you get stopped or you are questioned over the contents.

Travel Safe,

Sunny Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I Bring Vitamins in my Carryon in a Ziploc bag?

Well i travel the world with my fish oil capsules in my carryon and not in a ziplock bag.I have never been pulled up.I do have a bag for just in case scenarios.There has been an occasional report of people being pulled up over their fish oil capsules here in australia.

6. Re: Can I Bring Vitamins in my Carryon in a Ziploc bag?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2010, 11:52