We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skipping the last leg of a flight

North Carolina...
Level Contributor
2 posts
428 reviews
148 helpful votes
Skipping the last leg of a flight
Save

I am booked to fly from Frankfurt, Germany, to Charlotte, NC and then on to Atlanta, GA. I have friends who would come and pick me up in Charlotte, saving me a lot of time for getting home. I have to pick up my luggage in Charlotte in order to clear customs and would have to recheck it for the last leg. Can I safely skip the last leg to Atlanta without having to worry about my frequent flier status or being charged any extra? I have never skipped a flight before.

1. Re: Skipping the last leg of a flight

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the Tripadvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 16 October 2019, 18:01
Oregon
Level Contributor
4,903 posts
26 reviews
22 helpful votes
2. Re: Skipping the last leg of a flight
Save

>>>Checked luggage will be checked to your final destination.

Asking it to be short-checked will alert the airline to what you’re planning and may result in them repricing your ticket.

The only way this will work is if you travel hand luggage only.<<<

As Charlotte will be the first port of entry to the US the OP will be required to retrieve luggage before going through Customs, so won't have to ask for it to be short checked.

Lake Crystal...
Level Contributor
974 posts
39 reviews
10 helpful votes
3. Re: Skipping the last leg of a flight
Save

You will be fine. Go through immigration and customs, and instead of re-checking your bag and going through security, walk out of the airport to meet your friends.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
87,101 posts
2,908 reviews
2,718 helpful votes
4. Re: Skipping the last leg of a flight
Save

Agree with #3, and urge you to thumb your nose, at the airline desk, as you exit the airport w/ your luggage.

They like they.

Best of luck,

Hunt

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
37,406 posts
7 reviews
16 helpful votes
5. Re: Skipping the last leg of a flight
Save

Do it just once and you'll probably be okay. Make a habit of it and you could find yourself in hot water, especially re your miles and FF status.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
10,156 posts
45 reviews
106 helpful votes
6. Re: Skipping the last leg of a flight
Save

Do it just once and you'll probably be okay. Make a habit of it and you could find yourself in hot water, especially re your miles and FF status.

Indeed, some of the airlines are really cracking down on this. Read up about "skiplagging", Lufthansa as one airline have said they will actively pursue people through legal means who do this.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
647 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
7. Re: Skipping the last leg of a flight
Save

I don't think you'll get miles for the leg flown from Frankfurt to Charlotte.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
1,915 posts
226 reviews
124 helpful votes
8. Re: Skipping the last leg of a flight
Save

Charlotte to Atlanta is a 4 hour drive. Charlotte to Atlanta is a 1 hour flight. Domestic layovers are by definition under 4 hours so odd at best to drive from Charlotte to Atlanta unless the final destination is somewhere between Charlotte and Atlanta.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
999 posts
7 reviews
2 helpful votes
9. Re: Skipping the last leg of a flight
Save

They probably won't make a fuss about it if you do it 1 time. but your frequent flyer miles are the least of your worries if they do make a fuss about it. Largely they could, its unlikely, but they could cancel out your return trip leaving you needing to buy a very expensive flight home

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,903 posts
26 reviews
22 helpful votes
10. Re: Skipping the last leg of a flight
Save

>>> Largely they could, its unlikely, but they could cancel out your return trip leaving you needing to buy a very expensive flight home<<<

IF this is the outbound flight for the OP and there are more flights on this ticket it's not only likely, but probable that the return will be cancelled. But I believe that this is the return flight home for the OP.

© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.