We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bad Customer Service??

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
2 posts
78 reviews
Bad Customer Service??

Hi, I recently traveled with Avianca from Quito to Asuncion. At the airport, I did not realize that my bag was broken. As soon as I started unpacking I saw that the bag had very clear signs of having been dropped from a very high altitud and with great force. I went straight to the Avianca office in Asuncion, but, since it was a Saturday, it was closed (unacceptable for an airline office). I tried to make my claim online but their web page is very confusing for this type of action. I did not have a chance to go to their office again until after 10 days of my arrival. I placed my claim and they answered that it was too late to claim anything! Is this the way a business class passenger should be treated? All they needed to do was give me a 200 dollar voucher (which I would spend buying a ticket and paying a lot more) and I would have been a satisfied customer. Does anyone know if there is a way that I can have my case reconsidered? I have been an Avianca customer for years and now I am very disappointed.

17 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
16,261 posts
16 reviews
1. Re: Bad Customer Service??

"Does anyone know if there is a way that I can have my case reconsidered?"

Highly doubtful. I don't know that any airline would consider a claim for damaged luggage 10 days after the fact.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
11,059 posts
26 reviews
2. Re: Bad Customer Service??

<<since it was a Saturday, it was closed (unacceptable for an airline office).>> Welcome to the free world, where any business can decide about their opening hours. Btw, I do not know many normal offices which have open 365 days a year.

<<I did not have a chance to go to their office again until after 10 days>> <<they answered that it was too late to claim anything!>> Makes sense to me. Normally you should claim any damage before you leave the airport.

<<clear signs of having been dropped from a very high altitud and with great force>> Such a damage should be highly visible when you receive your luggage at the airport.

I would move on. You are really far too late with your claim.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
27,118 posts
80 reviews
3. Re: Bad Customer Service??

if you did not report the damage to the service desk when you picked your bag from the carousel, then there is absolutely no way any airline could know if the bag was damaged during flight.

i am puzzled though, you say there was no sign of damage until you opened the case later, yet you also say that it was dropped from a great altitude (30,000 ft?). it would be impossible to miss seeing that whilst you were in the airport.

what damage was alleged to have been done, that was invisible to the naked eye?

just claim on your travel insurance

Edited: 15 November 2018, 19:26
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,881 posts
4. Re: Bad Customer Service??

requirements are pretty clear here https:/…baggage-irregularities

including - you have up to seven (7) days to file a claim either at the airport where the event occurred, via the call center or through Avianca.com. After this time we accept no responsibility and shall not be liable for any compensation thereof.

The Baggage office will be open when there are arriving flights. you could have asked someone to help you with the website or you could have lifted the phone. I suspect your travel insurance will expect a report to be made at the airport on arrival as a pre-requisite for any claim (assuming you have insurance)

W Yorkshire
Level Contributor
5,924 posts
182 reviews
5. Re: Bad Customer Service??

Your bag had been dropped from a very high altitude and had suffered damage but there was no visible damage when you collected it. Really !.

However the damage wasn't so great as to encourage you to make haste to the office until 10 days later ?

And your surprised that Avianca won't be of help ? If you read through your own post it is blindingly obvious why they refused.

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
2 posts
78 reviews
6. Re: Bad Customer Service??

It was probably dropped from the belt that takes the bags out of the plane. No need to be sarcastic! I did not realize it was broken because I had a porter help me pick it up and take it to the car. Sorry all you haters out there, I thought this was a space for some advice as to a way for this type of action to be corrected by the airline industry. Thanks for letting me know the world is full of unhelpful people.

7. Re: Bad Customer Service??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 November 2018, 01:02

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
16,261 posts
16 reviews
8. Re: Bad Customer Service??

There's nothing that can be done so how can people in here help you?

UK
Level Contributor
9,478 posts
26 reviews
9. Re: Bad Customer Service??

The OP asked for advice and all s/he got was sarcasm and ridicule. OK, so there is nothing that can be done because he left it too late, but is that a reason to treat someone with such contempt?

(Some of the responses here were polite enough, but several weren't. And I'm sure you know who you are...)

Edited: 15 November 2018, 20:02
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
16,261 posts
16 reviews
10. Re: Bad Customer Service??

"The OP asked for advice and all s/he got was sarcasm and ridicule."

That's very unfair. My response certainly wasn't meant to be sarcastic or as ridicule. I don't see any sarcasm or ridicule in post 2 and 4 either.

Reply to: Bad Customer Service??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted