We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

17th july 2018 flying from kefalonia MT1461 to gatwick

Lowestoft, United...
3 posts
17th july 2018 flying from kefalonia MT1461 to gatwick

was anyone on here on that flight please and managed to get compensation for being diverted to Ostend and having to wait hours for a new crew to be flown in to take us the rest of the way home because they had run out of flying time ?

9 replies to this topic
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
558 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: 17th july 2018 flying from kefalonia MT1461 to gatwick

What was the reason the crew ran out of flying hours? If it was due to weather then I suspect it would be deemed as exceptional and EC261 would not be payable.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
10,580 posts
149 reviews
2. Re: 17th july 2018 flying from kefalonia MT1461 to gatwick

Compensation is not payable for all delays. What was the reason for the crew running out of hours? It’s unusual for crew to run out of hours it’s usually because there has been a prior problem. Was there a delay due to ATC restrictions, weather, strikes etc? It would be useful if you gave more information.

Lowestoft, United...
3 posts
3. Re: 17th july 2018 flying from kefalonia MT1461 to gatwick

it was because of fog but we were told by one of the new cabin crew that they knew well in advance that they wouldnt be able to complete the journey and could have arranged for a crew to be waiting for us at ostend, we had to wait in that airport for hours while they tried to find a new crew.we had waited in kefalonia departure lounge for 5 hours and offered nothing, i accept that fog etc happens but its not good when you get on a plane thinking you are going home and then told we are being diverted grr

Edited: 15 November 2018, 04:59
Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
10,580 posts
149 reviews
4. Re: 17th july 2018 flying from kefalonia MT1461 to gatwick

Weather happens and I've had a few diversions because of bad weather, not good but these things happen. Wasn't it better to get nearly home and have to wait in Ostend, rather than an even longer wait in Kefalonia, most probably overnight?

Delays due to weather are extraordinary so EU 261 is not payable.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
42,603 posts
62 reviews
5. Re: 17th july 2018 flying from kefalonia MT1461 to gatwick

How can you tell Christmas looming lol?

Strange how a new cabin crew knew well in advance that the airline knew there was going to be fog!

Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
4,243 posts
119 reviews
6. Re: 17th july 2018 flying from kefalonia MT1461 to gatwick

Fog in July? Seems strange to me.

7. Re: 17th july 2018 flying from kefalonia MT1461 to gatwick

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 15 November 2018, 13:13

Lowestoft, United...
3 posts
8. Re: 17th july 2018 flying from kefalonia MT1461 to gatwick

the fog had lifted after 5 hrs and we left kefalonia, its the next bit that is what i am complaining about....we were diverted to ostend because they had run out of flying time, thats when we had to wait hours for a new crew...senior cabin crew told us that they should have called ahead to say a new crew would be needed so we wouldnt of had to add those extra hours on our wait...

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
75,680 posts
478 reviews
9. Re: 17th july 2018 flying from kefalonia MT1461 to gatwick

I would not rely on what cabin crew have said when it comes to judging whether EU261 compensation applies or not.

Reply to: 17th july 2018 flying from kefalonia MT1461 to gatwick
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted