We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flybe in trouble - looking for a buyer

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
34,381 posts
7 reviews
Flybe in trouble - looking for a buyer

Yet another European airline is in financial trouble. Flybe is putting itself up for sale. Their stock price currently values them at just £25 million.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-46203183

https:/…

I would expect them to find a buyer. They have a lot of regional code share contracts so they should be in demand. And if they can keep those few Heathrow slots going (EDI and ABZ) for a couple more years they get to keep them, and they would be very valuable. Stobart Air was interested earlier this year and had a bid rejected.

13 replies to this topic
W Yorkshire
Level Contributor
5,904 posts
182 reviews
1. Re: Flybe in trouble - looking for a buyer

Ive used them on AF codeshare a few times.

Flights were ok, however my biggest bugbear is they aren't part of Skyteam. Hence I try to avoid them like the plague.

I hope things work out for them though.

South of England
Level Contributor
3,428 posts
185 reviews
2. Re: Flybe in trouble - looking for a buyer

I wonder if Lufthansa might be interested.

With some route changes, feeder traffic into their east bound services ex FRA. Likewise opportunity for west bound traffic feeding into Star Alliance partners. A fairly ‘cheap’ option to gain a U.K. operating licence for a EU carrier post Brexit.

Whatever the outcome of the latest Flybe turmoil, I hope their staff come out of this latest episode o.k.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
47,053 posts
132 reviews
3. Re: Flybe in trouble - looking for a buyer

I do hope they find a buyer. I booked a Dublin flight with them for the first time just 5 days ago.

Fingers and toes crossed.

Glossop, United...
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
124 reviews
4. Re: Flybe in trouble - looking for a buyer

The Guardian reports that Flybe chief executive Christine Ourmières-Widener said "customers should have 'no worries at all' about current or future bookings."

UK
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: Flybe in trouble - looking for a buyer

They just launched a new route today too: LCY-NCL.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
47,053 posts
132 reviews
6. Re: Flybe in trouble - looking for a buyer

Fingers and toes still crossed.

Credit card company should refund if the worst happens.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,787 posts
49 reviews
7. Re: Flybe in trouble - looking for a buyer

I wonder if Lufthansa might be interested.

Lufthansa got sufficiently burned the last time they decided to play in the UK regional game. Can't see them attempting that again.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
27,044 posts
80 reviews
8. Re: Flybe in trouble - looking for a buyer

there are always talks about various airlines being "in trouble" and getting offers. look at the OP. stobart themselves were going to be taken over by city jet after poor figures, but cityjet pulled out.

UK
Level Contributor
9,463 posts
26 reviews
9. Re: Flybe in trouble - looking for a buyer

"They just launched a new route today too: LCY-NCL"

Eastern Airways tried that once and failed miserably. I still have some beer mats that they were giving out at some business travel event (collectors' items now, I would guess...)

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
34,381 posts
7 reviews
10. Re: Flybe in trouble - looking for a buyer

Update - Positive news. Virgin Atlantic has confirmed it is interested in acquiring Flybe.

https:/…

This could work. Not just because of the (few) Heathrow slots Flybe has but also connections to Virgin’s growing Manchester operation and current/potential connecting feed to Delta/Air France/KLM at AMS and CDG. Virgin is 49% owned by Delta and around 30% owned by AK/KLM.

Not a done deal yet though, but encouraging.

Reply to: Flybe in trouble - looking for a buyer
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted