We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the longest you've ever had to wait at an airport?

Katoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
What's the longest you've ever had to wait at an airport?

for a connecting flight. Did you sleep at the airport? Was it bad? Was it fun?

;)

22 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
9,497 posts
52 reviews
1. Re: What's the longest you've ever had to wait at an airport?

Sleeping in an airport, or not being able to sleep in an airport as the case may be is not fun unless there is an airside transit hotel. One can say that at my age of course I wouldn't find it fun, and that would be true, but I also didn't find it at all fun when I was a backpacking teenager and student.

Ludwigsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
456 posts
168 reviews
2. Re: What's the longest you've ever had to wait at an airport?

Believe me - that depend A LOT on the airport that you're transitting at...

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
17,903 posts
106 reviews
3. Re: What's the longest you've ever had to wait at an airport?

If you can get the aliens to beam you up, as you seem to want in your profile statement, it could only be a matter of nanoseconds, unless you booked your flights with ECrooks, in which case, it could be several decades..

ECrooks are just working through the complaints backlog from their customers supposed to be on board the Spirit of St Luis..

Berkshire, United...
Level Contributor
19,677 posts
61 reviews
4. Re: What's the longest you've ever had to wait at an airport?

Wasn't this post closed down?

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,654 posts
26 reviews
5. Re: What's the longest you've ever had to wait at an airport?

Keep in mind that many airports, especially in smaller cities, will not allow you to stay past the security check points after a certain hour, which is usually after the last flight arrives for the night. Not sure where you would sleep in many of these airports and you would have limited access to things, as food vendors generally close down in the evening, many before the airport officially closes down. Personally not something I would do unless forced to, like if all the flights in and out were cancelled and there were simply no hotels available within a reasonable distance of the airport.

South Jersey
Level Contributor
3,765 posts
68 reviews
6. Re: What's the longest you've ever had to wait at an airport?

I've can't recall ever having fun at an airport.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
14,348 posts
111 reviews
7. Re: What's the longest you've ever had to wait at an airport?

This is fun to read

https://www.sleepinginairports.net/

UK
Level Contributor
2,883 posts
15 reviews
8. Re: What's the longest you've ever had to wait at an airport?

Been stranded overnight many times but never had to sleep in the terminal building. Always managed to rustle up a hotel or in some cases a friends house nearby.

The longest I've ever had to wait for a flight was at Zurich for 4 days during the volcanic ash cloud shenanigans a few years ago. Was flying with Swiss and they covered the first 2 nights hotel/meals and then we were on our own after that - took a bus back to the UK in the end.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
24,023 posts
77 reviews
9. Re: What's the longest you've ever had to wait at an airport?

Wasn't this post closed down?

--------------

Yes it was. TA seems to be having one of its regular 'open all threads no matter the uselessness/spam' sessions, although in fairness this has more merit than the others.

London, United...
Level Contributor
897 posts
28 reviews
10. Re: What's the longest you've ever had to wait at an airport?

Seems a harmless enough thread.

In my young backpacker days, I once slept at EWR airport in the terminal, after arriving back to NYC by train from another city and not wanting to pay for a hostel/hotel before an early flight to LAX the next morning.

I vaguely recall I slept on a bench somewhere in the depths of the terminal, next to a baggage enquiry desk. Not the most comfortable night of my life, but maybe not the worst either. At least it was dry and warm, and there were a couple of others doing the same.

Any long layovers these days are spent in airport lounges, if I have to stay in the airport terminal. Safer, with free food and drink and showers, but not always a more comfortable sleep than the bench in EWR...

Reply to: What's the longest you've ever had to wait at an airport?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted