We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Norwegian Flight on Orbiz, but not on Norwegian site

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
414 posts
Norwegian Flight on Orbiz, but not on Norwegian site

I'm thoroughly confused here. I'm looking on Orbitz and I see Norwegian Air Shuttle flight 7700 on 4/20 at 12:05am from JFK direct to AMS and it appears as if I can book it. But, there's no such flight Norwegian.com. I also called Norwegian and they know of no such flight. On Orbitz, it's a daily flight, so it's not just an error in one day's schedule. I've also saw this 12:05am flight yesterday, so it's not just a glitch today.

So why's it appear on 3rd party sites, but not on the airline's direct site? If I book it on Orbitz, what's going to happen?

17 replies to this topic
Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,592 posts
90 reviews
1. Re: Norwegian Flight on Orbiz, but not on Norwegian site

Maybe have a look at the JFK website and see if it exists there, I'd be inclined to think that Norwegian would know what flights they operate, after all they want to sell the seats . Could it be that the flight number exists with the airline still but is now a different time ?

Many online resellers do not have live prices so it wouldn't surprise me too mush if this was an old schedule that they are trying to sell

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
41,841 posts
62 reviews
2. Re: Norwegian Flight on Orbiz, but not on Norwegian site

According to Norwegian website that flight is only available until 30th March.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
9,507 posts
52 reviews
3. Re: Norwegian Flight on Orbiz, but not on Norwegian site

It's pretty clear what's going on. The flight exists now. Next April 20 that flight does not exist, at least at the moment. In the entire week april 20-27 there are no days with even a direct non stop flight jfk - ams on Norwegian according to their current schedule.

Pretty certain if you book that flight now with Orbitz, you'll get a cancellation notice at some point so don't bother. In fact save yourself a lot of potential headaches and stay away from online agent middlemen.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
414 posts
4. Re: Norwegian Flight on Orbiz, but not on Norwegian site

That's great info.

We still don't know if that's a discontinued flight at Orbitz hasn't yet picked up on or if it's something that just hasn't shown up yet on the Norwegian site.

Which is more likely?

@lennybruce yes, I agree, I really wouldn't want to book the flight on orbitz, but it's not available on norwegian. I'm not in a huge rush to book the flight, so I'll keep an eye on this over the next few days. I almost think there's no harm in booking this and then calling Norwegian with the record locator to help clarify things and then cancelling.

I almost want to go ahead and book it, get a record locator that I can put in at Norwegian.com and see what it says. I have 24 hours to cancel, so I don't think it would be a problem to do that. Is it worth trying that to see if that makes the situation more clear?

Edited: 17 October 2018, 02:38
Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
41,841 posts
62 reviews
5. Re: Norwegian Flight on Orbiz, but not on Norwegian site

As Norwegian website states "The outbound route is available for sale until 30/03/2019 and these are the last available dates." why would you think Orbitz have it before the airline who haven't yet put it on their website?

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
11,962 posts
17 reviews
6. Re: Norwegian Flight on Orbiz, but not on Norwegian site

Be Careful! The USlegislation about free cancellation within 24 hours just applies to airlines not agents. Are you sure you’ll get your money back?

I really don’t understand why you’d even want to try booking a flight that the airline doesn’t have in its schedule. It’s far more likely Orbitz hasn’t updated their site.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
414 posts
7. Re: Norwegian Flight on Orbiz, but not on Norwegian site

@leyland10 where's the norwegian site state "The outbound route is available for sale until 30/03/2019 and these are the last available dates" for jfk to ams? I didn't see that anywhere.

@amomondo, yes, I wouldn't book unless I was certain I'd get my money back. I just figure I'd be able to get some more info out of Norwegian if I booked and then called them with a record locator.

I'll wait it out at this point.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
414 posts
8. Re: Norwegian Flight on Orbiz, but not on Norwegian site

What do you know. The 12:05am flight is on the Norwegian site today. I guess somehow Orbitz was ahead of the curve.

southern england
Level Contributor
560 posts
87 reviews
9. Re: Norwegian Flight on Orbiz, but not on Norwegian site

So the next question is , how much are you saving by booking via Orbitz as opposed to direct with Norwegian Airlines.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
414 posts
10. Re: Norwegian Flight on Orbiz, but not on Norwegian site

It's the same price. I wouldn't book via Orbitz obviously. I only mentioned Orbitz since the flight was only showing there and not on Norwegian yesterday.

For my daughter's flights, I did actually use Student Universe to book. They had a student rate with 2 bags, meal and a seat selection that was about the same as 1 bag, no meal and no seat selection with Norwegian directly.

In this case, with 3 passengers and only 2 bags total, the Student Universe package probably wouldn't make sense.

Reply to: Norwegian Flight on Orbiz, but not on Norwegian site
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted