We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Malta Hand Baggage

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
44 reviews
Air Malta Hand Baggage

Does anyone know if the Air Malta permitted weight of 10 kg applies to just the one main piece, or does it include the small personal item, i.e. main + personal must not exceed 10 kg? Also, the suitcase I have found is 8" deep, which is actually 20.32 cm. Air Malta states 20 cm. Will that extra .32 of a cm be a problem? 20 cms is 7.87" - just a wee bit smaller. I want to make sure it fits in their measuring cage.

3 replies to this topic
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
10,922 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: Air Malta Hand Baggage

From the mouth of the horse / the website of Air Malta re. their new hand luggage rules, in effect since March 2018:

<<We remind all our guests that the main hand baggage should not exceed 10kg in weight, and measure 55x40x20cm maximum.>> => Main hand baggage max weight is 10kg.

<<One additional piece of hand baggage like camera bags, small umbrellas, netbook/tablet cases and purses which do not exceed 35x20x20cm (ensuring they fit easily under the seat in front) may still be brought on board.>> => Additional hand luggage max weight not defined.

<<After the first 100 pieces of hand baggage (in the case of an A320) or the first 80 (on an A319) are placed in the cabin, all the other remaining hand baggage will be placed in the aircraft hold>>

Advice: put your valuables in the small hand luggage in case your main hand luggage is put into the hold. => <<remove any valuables, medicines, electronic equipment, spare batteries, e-cigarettes, or any other item they might need during the flight.>>

<<Business Class ticket holders, Flypass Diamond & Permanent members and families travelling with young children are offered priority boarding. >> => They can bring their main hand luggage on board for sure.

Source: https:/…hand-baggage

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
10,922 posts
26 reviews
2. Re: Air Malta Hand Baggage

<<I have found is 8" deep, which is actually 20.32 cm. Air Malta states 20 cm. Will that extra .32 of a cm be a problem? 20 cms is 7.87" - just a wee bit smaller. I want to make sure it fits in their measuring cage.>>

Nice to see people taking rules that precise. In short: Don't worry, 0.32 cm of difference will be fine.

Advice: Measure once your hand luggage yourself. Many manufacturer "translate" dimension from cm into inch and vice versa. But there is a fair bit of rounding going on. Nobody would market a hand luggage with "7.87402 inch".

When you measure, make sure you measure including the wheels and the handle (in its locked / closed state). Many manufacturer unfortunately just measure the luggage itself. But wheels can change the size a bit, especially if you have to put them into a sizer.

Edited: 16 October 2018, 20:37
Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
44 reviews
3. Re: Air Malta Hand Baggage

Thank you. I interpreted their guidelines as meaning 10 kg for just the main piece but wondered if anyone had had problems. I have measured the case, and the manufacturer's measurements seem to be accurate, so I'm assuming all will be well. :)

Reply to: Air Malta Hand Baggage
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted