We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British Airways Boeing 777

Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
British Airways Boeing 777

Hey all, we due to fly next month (October 21th) from Tel Aviv to Toronto via London Heathrow, both of the flight on a Boeing 777 (Probably -200). I wanted to ask how can I know if we will have a new-interior aircraft with a modern IFE, or the old interior with the VERY old and small IFE?

Flight numbers:

TLV-LHR: BA166

LHR-YYZ: BA93

Thanks!

6 replies to this topic
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
10,796 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: British Airways Boeing 777

In short, you most likely cannot.

With the flight number you can check here and see the registration number of the aircrafts recently used:

https:/…1de79771

But even if you would now for every aircraft which IFE it would have, you still cannot predict which aircraft is used on the day you will fly.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
6,159 posts
34 reviews
2. Re: British Airways Boeing 777

I suspect that BA themselves have no idea which individual plane they will use on a flight over a month in the future. Over the last 3 days BA166 from Tel Aviv has been operated by 777-200s from three different batches with 3 different interior setups. On the same three days BA93 to Toronto has been operated by 787-9s (twice) and a 777-200 (non-ER) so even the aircraft type is variable. Bear in mind that 787s are in short supply due to the Rolls Royce engine modification programme so it may be that whether you get a 787 or some sort of 777 depends on short term availability. If it is a 787 it will have modern IFE, obviously.

Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
3. Re: British Airways Boeing 777

AndyW33,

According to my flight itinerary, both flights will be operated on a 772 (777-200/200ER), not a 787 at all unfortunately.

Are you suggesting BA might perform a last minute equipment change?

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
6,159 posts
34 reviews
4. Re: British Airways Boeing 777

Yes, that's exactly what I'm suggesting. BA go to considerable lengths to avoid cancellations.

So far this month BA166 has seen the planned 4-class 777-200ER on three occasions and a 4-class 777-300ER on October 3rd, so the itinerary is more like a guideline.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,722 posts
49 reviews
5. Re: British Airways Boeing 777

BA have more than 50 777s, some have a First cabin, some don't. Some have a 17 seat First cabin, some have a 12 seat First cabin, etc. etc.

There are several different configurations and you don't really know what one you're getting until you step on the aircraft. If you're booked in First then you'll get one with a First cabin but other than that it's a pot luck.

Flightradar24 will show you a day or so ahead which aircraft is rostered on your route but that's no guarantee either, it could be delayed or have a mechanical issue and another aircraft subbed in.

https:/…ba166

https:/…ba93

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,152 posts
100 reviews
6. Re: British Airways Boeing 777

Stuff like this is so variable - it may be possible that the IFE isn't working at all on your flight, or only in your seat.

Be like a boy scout and be prepared, is my advice. Don't relay on IFE being there or being what you want, bring it yourself. Books (eBooks), videos, music, can all be downloaded to devices these days. Bring a fully-charged battery pack with you to keep the devices charged during the flight, in case there are no power outlets at your seat (or they aren't working).

It has certainly taken a lot of the stress out of being entertained when I fly for me!

Reply to: British Airways Boeing 777
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted