We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport security

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
Airport security

Hi guys!

I'm on the countdown to a road trip through California and I have just bought a Canon DSLR. I will be taking this onto the plane with me (obviously!) as well as my MacBook, Kindle etc.

My question is this: I know I have to take the MacBook out and put that in a tray, but will I have to do the same for the camera and the lenses? I hate holding people up but will inevitably end up doing so if I have to take it all out of its bags!

Any help is appreciated!

21 replies to this topic
Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Airport security

I travel with DSLRs and lenses and the answer is: sometimes yes, but mostly no. Unless they seem to insist otherwise, I just leave it all in the bag and if they ask for secondary screening so be it.

Edited: 11 September 2018, 23:08
Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
41,448 posts
62 reviews
2. Re: Airport security

Mr L10 is always asked to remove his so he does it automatically now. Everything's in trays before it's our turn in the queue. No holding up anyone.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
59,124 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Airport security

'will I have to do the same for the camera and the lenses?' The phrase 'have to' is the unknown in the equation and can be dependent on the security staff on the day.

Although not necessarily required I usually have electronics ready to be removed from my hand baggage and placed in a bin without waiting to be asked. I'd rather do this than hear 'what's that?' and the results thereof if leaving electronics in the bag.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
4. Re: Airport security

Thank you all!

The unknown is what's worrying me; I hate not knowing! I've been trying to read up on it and the answers I've seen have all been 50/50. I'm not sure how to juggle getting my Macbook out along with the camera and lenses without dropping and damaging anything :/

Do any of you know about e-readers? Do they have to be taken out too?

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
6,160 posts
34 reviews
5. Re: Airport security

Security at UK airports seem to want ereaders taken out and put in the plastic tray this year

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
23,854 posts
47 reviews
6. Re: Airport security

I have never been asked to take my DSLR out. Laptop, tablet, e-readers, yes.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
9,789 posts
121 reviews
7. Re: Airport security

<< ·

I have never been asked to take my DSLR out.>>

Going through MAN security late August, we were asked if we had cameras.

I just had a compact camera but OH had a DSLR.

Security removed the camera from the case and put both items in a separate tray to our hand luggage and liquids bag.

I got through first and saw our bags but not the camera.

After frantically searching, I noticed that another security chap had moved the tray from the x-ray side onto the other side.

Anyone could have walked off with a very expensive piece of equipment.

We were bloody furious.

OP, you are right to be concerned.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
26,083 posts
78 reviews
8. Re: Airport security

does it matter what to expect? security have a right to inspect anything they want, and there is no point arguing with them. just be prepared for all eventualities !

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
9. Re: Airport security

Prettypollycat: That's exactly what I'm worried about! I get stressed enough travelling through security, without having to keep separate tabs on £1,100 worth of camera and a £1,200 MacBook

Oregon
Level Contributor
3,980 posts
26 reviews
10. Re: Airport security

«I'm not sure how to juggle getting my Macbook out along with the camera and lenses without dropping and damaging anything :/»

You just set your bag(s) down on the belt, take out the Macbook, camera and lenses and put them into bins. What's so complicated about that?

Reply to: Airport security
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted