We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight from London to Memphis (USA)

Vienna
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Flight from London to Memphis (USA)

I´ve been travelling to Memphis/Graceland from Europe a few times in the last years and it was always through Chicago.

I am now considering travelling there again but this time through Atlanta. So i am asking you guys regarding your experiences with this Airport.

Please if you can let me know your opinions to these questions:

Most important: After landing in Atlanta will 2 hours be enough time for Immigration and getting to the Departure Gate for Memphis (which will most likely be at another Terminal and therefore needs another Security Check to be passed)?

When you fly to Atlanta Airport from London is it the same procedure as in Chicago after Immigration - i mean picking up my luggage and bring it to another checkpoint -- only then i can head to the other Terminal plus Security to get to my Departure gate for Memphis?

Thanks in advance for your Information.

9 replies to this topic
Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
10,110 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight from London to Memphis (USA)

Same procedure at every US airport.

ATL is a massive airport and very busy. 2 hours *might* be enough time but as a non-citizen who may have to wait in line a while, I'd go with three hours.

All arriving international passengers have to go through a security check before they can get to their next flight .

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,214 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight from London to Memphis (USA)

1. Maybe, but 3 hours is usually recommended.

2. Yes

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,742 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight from London to Memphis (USA)

You now also have an option of a nonstop from LHR to BNA (Nashville) on British Air. From Nashville you could catch a flight, bus or even drive to Memphis.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,771 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight from London to Memphis (USA)

We fly through ATL a few times a year on international flights and I would not take a connection with less than 3 hours (2 hours 45 min or so is close enough for me), 2 hours - no way.

Vienna
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight from London to Memphis (USA)

To all the guys who have answered so far:. Thank you so much! I appreciate your contributions.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
51,305 posts
1,731 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight from London to Memphis (USA)

We have never done International to Domestic at ATL, but do so often at many major USA airports. We do fly to/from ATL fairly often, too.

Even with Global Entry, and TSA Pre-Check, I want a full 3 hrs, regardless of the USA airport.

Best of luck,

Hunt

Illinois
Level Contributor
18,637 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight from London to Memphis (USA)

It may also depend on how important it is to you to get there on time. I'm more likely to gamble if it's not urgent and if there are more flights to my destination and if they aren't always full. (No idea how full flights are from ATL to Memphis.)

Nottingham
Level Contributor
254 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight from London to Memphis (USA)

If you are travelling from Austria, fly to Dublin, clear immigration there.

May mean seem extra flights but it makes entry so much easier.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
25,077 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flight from London to Memphis (USA)

Curious why you'd be flying from London if you live in Vienna?

Tupelo is an easy enough drive from Nashville, BTW.

SWT

Edited: 21 July 2018, 17:47
Reply to: Flight from London to Memphis (USA)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted