We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mia to bkk business class using citi thank you points

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
915 posts
315 reviews
Mia to bkk business class using citi thank you points

I have 161,000 points. Trying to figure out if I have enough points to make it from Mia to bkk and back in business. In the past I have paid a company to book a ticket using my miles. Would like to see if I can do it myself this time but it seems complex and I don’t really know where to start. So of the airlines I can transfer miles to are, Turkish, Qatar, EVA, Etihad, Thai, Air France and KLM(30% more miles if I transfer to them), Singapore, and Virgin. I also have a bunch of Amex points but would prefer to use my points from Citi. Thanks in advance.

8 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,756 posts
1. Re: Mia to bkk business class using citi thank you points

I would start this way (probably with a spreadsheet)

routes - use google flights and see what options there are with routings

check the airline programs and see how much it would be

try and get the list down to maybe 3 airlines and check redemption availability (finding business availability is likely to be the toughest part)

using that approach you can see options MIA-IST-BKK with TK and the TK chart on their website shows that this would be 135,000 miles etc. (you may have to sign up to a program to check redemption availability)

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
8,003 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Mia to bkk business class using citi thank you points

A number of airlines are changing to dynamic pricing for FF tickets, so the good old days of saying 90K gets you business class are fading away and being replaced by variable fares same as for paid seats. I know Flying Blue (KLM / AF) just went that way last month, not sure about the others you list. So while today your 160K might buy a seat, by the time your transfer goes through, it could have changed.

Did you try booking direct through the Citi website, just to see what mileage fares were looking like on your preferred travel dates?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
9,518 posts
52 reviews
3. Re: Mia to bkk business class using citi thank you points

Doesn't Citi Thankyou have their own air travel search and booking module, or not? otherwise you will indeed have to go thru the tedious process of seeing which of the qualifying airlines have acceptable routings MIA - BKK and then search how many points each airline requires for a business class ticket on or around the dates you want to travel. With KLM and United as the two examples I mostly use miles on, sometimes I have to move my travel several weeks one way or the other, or leave a week early or stay a week longer, to get a good business class reward rate (not every seat on every flight and every date is the same number of miles, some days full 'price' and some days much less points). So if searching it all yourself airline for airline it can be a lot of work.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
915 posts
315 reviews
4. Re: Mia to bkk business class using citi thank you points

Thanks for the guidance. I could book thru citi, but the value of my points would equal about 1600 dollars off the price of the ticket and business class tickets are upwards of 3500 dollars, so the better value would be to transfer the points to an airline program. I do appreciate the help.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
5. Re: Mia to bkk business class using citi thank you points

Short off creating FF profiles with all airlines in question, you are sadly not going to get an accurate estimate.

I know BA, Virgin and Emirates do not show reward fares till you sign in and I can't imagine any other airline doing differently either.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
9,518 posts
52 reviews
6. Re: Mia to bkk business class using citi thank you points

Got it regarding Citi. I can tell you that with KLM for example, the 'cheapest' you could do it for would be around 300,000 miles + €700 which may be a different sum for an American account holder. The above mentioned example from TK of 135,000 - is that 1-way or return? My guess is 1-way. As I think of the number of miles I use for much shorter simple transatlantic flights and sometimes to asia from europe I can't imagine you will be able to do a round trip with 161,000 miles. Keep us posted though.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
915 posts
315 reviews
7. Re: Mia to bkk business class using citi thank you points

I will keep you updated. Last year I flew on Turkish for what I believe was 160000 miles business class Mia to bkk round trip. I booked through United. Thanks

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
915 posts
315 reviews
8. Re: Mia to bkk business class using citi thank you points

Just updating everyone. The bad news is the cheapest I have found is 180,000 miles with Turkish. The good news is I am now a proud member of six different airlines frequent flier programs of which I will probably never use in the future.

Reply to: Mia to bkk business class using citi thank you points
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted