We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Qantas - New York JFK Airport

Chatswood, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
43 reviews
Qantas - New York JFK Airport

Recently we flew from Washington to New York for our connecting flight to Sydney via Los Angeles.

On arrival to JFK we noticed many travellers sitting on the floor or on their suitcases as they were too early to check-in for the flight to Los Angeles, having flown in earlier from other cities. To our horror, what we also found was there were no seats in the departure hall in JFK!! The only chairs there were wheelchairs. So we had to stand around for more than an hr before QANTAS opened their counter for check-ins/bag drops. Surely QANTAS would have known there were passengers arriving early from other flights for their connection to Sydney. They could just have 1 check-in counter to accommodate those who have flown in early. And for those who were travelling business class we could have had a relaxing time in the business lounge and enjoyed the facilites there.

12 replies to this topic
Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Qantas - New York JFK Airport

I've been early for departures at bunches of airports - and there's never anywhere to sit in the check-in areas except the floor. JFK is not the exception to this rule...

Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Qantas - New York JFK Airport

BTW, it doesn't actually sound like you had a "connection" - if you had to re-check-in your luggage it sounds like you had a separate ticket. If you had a true connection your bags could have been checked through and your whole issue would have not happened.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
9,506 posts
52 reviews
3. Re: Qantas - New York JFK Airport

Been there, done that at many checkin counters at various airports. Departure hall of course has some benches around but never recall seeing them right where people line up for a check in counter

Chatswood, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
43 reviews
4. Re: Qantas - New York JFK Airport

You are right. Washington to NY was a separate ticket but still QANTAS must know there would be passengers who would arrive early as hotel check outs are normally 11am or 12noon.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,766 posts
49 reviews
5. Re: Qantas - New York JFK Airport

-Check-in areas are not waiting rooms.

-Airlines with one or two flights a day don't staff their desks for typically more than 3hrs before a flight.

-You could have checked-in online and then gone airside if you didn't need to check bags.

As others have said you didn't have a connection by the sounds of it.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,766 posts
49 reviews
6. Re: Qantas - New York JFK Airport

must know there would be passengers who would arrive early as hotel check outs are normally 11am or 12noon.

Err, bell service? Late check-out?

You don't have to go to the airport just because checkout for some hotels is 11am? That's mad.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
62,061 posts
48 reviews
7. Re: Qantas - New York JFK Airport

“To our horror, what we also found was there were no seats in the departure hall in JFK!!”

I guess “ departure hall” is what we call the “ check-in area” here.

Most of them have a few seats along the wall. Typically a very few. Because it’s not a place where people typically linger.

I thought at first you meant the gate area. Of course, there are many seats there.

I think you’re in search of a solution for a problem that doesn’t exist.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
3,023 posts
31 reviews
8. Re: Qantas - New York JFK Airport

Yes I don't recall a large number of seats in any check in area or departure hall as you call it anywhere in the world. There's always been a few but most people arrive at the appropriate time and check in.

If I arrive too early at the airport I go to a coffee shop if I want to sit down.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
98,222 posts
17 reviews
9. Re: Qantas - New York JFK Airport

>>still QANTAS must know there would be passengers who would arrive early as hotel check outs are normally 11am or 12noon<<

If the luggage handling is provided by the airport, it may not accept luggage until a set time before scheduled departure. I know (from talking to Qantas staff) that Sydney International will not accept luggage more than 3 hours ahead.

Culburra Beach...
Level Contributor
3,491 posts
198 reviews
10. Re: Qantas - New York JFK Airport

Any flight departing after 2pm realises that alot of passengers checked out of their hotels at 10am, or arrive on flights many hrs earlier.

But can you please explain why you feel that is QANTAS's (or any airlines) problem?

The problem here was that you chose to arrive early, you chose not to buy a connecting single ticket, therefore eliminating the option of staying airside.

Reply to: Qantas - New York JFK Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted