We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CLT: how is it for connections?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
1 review
CLT: how is it for connections?

How is CLT for connections? It is not a big airport,as far as I know.

Looking at LAS-CLT-LHR all one ticket on AA, with a 1h25 connection time in CLT.

Looks feasible. Probably won't even need a terminal change or extra security check, as it is all AA.

4 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
1 review
1. Re: CLT: how is it for connections?

Just searched on the web and CLT is about as busy as LAS in terms of passenger numbers. So, it is a fairly big airport, but not as busy as the mega hubs such as ORD, DFW, JFK etc.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
22,888 posts
36 reviews
2. Re: CLT: how is it for connections?

Your only issue is that AA use Concourses B.C. D & E so it could be a bit of walk from gate to gate depending on specific gates used but you should be ok as long as the first flight is on time - I've made shorter connections at CLT although it did require a bit of a sprint.

Might be worthwhile checking AA Flight Status for a few days to see if there is any pattern to concourses and/or gates.

cltairport.com/MapsandDirections/…SDWRMap.pdf

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,729 posts
49 reviews
3. Re: CLT: how is it for connections?

All the LHR flights go from the D Concourse. I use CLT pretty regularly (almost 20 connections so far this year) and the only times I've had things go wrong there are when the weather strikes such as summer thunderstorms etc.

1hr 25mins should be plenty of time, even though you're connecting to an international flight. The walks are not that far. Concourse B and C do not have any moving walkways but there are some to D.

Standard connections protocol

-Sit as far forward as you can unless you're flying business/first (in which case don't pick this routing, go non-stop from LAS!) so you can get off the aircraft quickly.

-Use the AA app/American Way magazine to familarize yourself with where your arrival gate is relative to your departure gate in D.

There are quite a few concessions in the main terminal area between A/B and C/D. There's a handy sushi place right next to the walkway where I often grab food for between flights. Almost adjacent is Brookwood Farms which is a not half bad Carolina BBQ joint. Both will have food ready for you quickly if you're in a rush but peckish.

Edited: 12 June 2018, 00:46
Illinois
Level Contributor
19,092 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: CLT: how is it for connections?

It seemed like a fairly small airport to me, since I'm used to connecting in ORD or DFW or DTW or ATL. It didn't seem like an especially long walk to get to my next gate, but I've only connected there a couple of times. That timing should be ok if your flights are on time, but then again, it should be enough in ORD if flight is on time.

Reply to: CLT: how is it for connections?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted