We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scans

Worthing, United...
2 posts
Scans

Can I fly the following day after having a CT scan. Is it safe?

9 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,588 posts
1. Re: Scans

I would think your doctor or airline would be the ones to ask

Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,023 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Scans

Unless something has drastically changed, a CT scan is a non invasive procedure isn't it? On the other hand your underlying condition may be the thing to worry about. Ask your doc for medical advice, not a bunch of random internet strangers.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
19,315 posts
61 reviews
3. Re: Scans

Surely it is your doctor you should be asking?

Reykjavik, Iceland
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
13,363 posts
59 reviews
4. Re: Scans

I see now that your question got posted twice on the forum. Some internet glitch I guess. Let me just copy my reply from the other one.

I found this online:

Quote: "If you plan to travel by airplane within a few days of your PET/CT scan, make sure to inform your physician. It’s possible the glucose could set off radiation detectors at the airport. Your doctor can provide you with a card that explains that you have recently undergone a PET/CT scan."

https:/…petct-scan

It's the last paragraph there.

So it's safe for you, but you may want to have a doctor's note.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
10,812 posts
26 reviews
5. Re: Scans

A standard CT (CAT) scan has no impact on your fitness to fly.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
26,055 posts
78 reviews
6. Re: Scans

of course it wont ! it is just a form of x-ray, and no more problematic than visiting the doctor the day before !

but....as mentioned in #2, if you have a condition that required the scan, have you told your travel insurer about it? your insurance could be invalidated for travelling with an existing problem.

Worthing, United...
2 posts
7. Re: Scans

Thanks for your comment

Dallas
Level Contributor
3,749 posts
21 reviews
8. Re: Scans

" It’s possible the glucose could set off radiation detectors at the airport." I believe the radioactive sugar (FDG) is only part of a PET, not a CT. Also, it has a very, very short half-life (109.7 minutes).

But do check with your radiologist.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,879 posts
10 reviews
9. Re: Scans

"Can I fly the following day after having a CT scan. Is it safe?"

I would at least wait for the results of the scan. I know it's an extreme case, but my GF had a scan a couple of years ago that found an Aortic Aneurism and required almost immediate emergency surgery.

Reply to: Scans
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted