We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very long layover at ORD

Austin TX
Level Contributor
44 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Very long layover at ORD

Hi - I have a very long layover next week at ORD for a BA flight to LHR/EDI (booked through American) . My flight departs at 8:55 pm. I've requested late check-out at hotel but will still have a long wait before flight. So two questions:

- If I check in bags 4 hours prior to flight, does this increase the odds of lost luggage? I read that 4 hours before flight is the earliest bags can be checked. I'm a little paranoid about lost luggage, since the trip where I didn't get my checked bag until day 7 of a 14 day trip.

- After the hotel kicks me out, what can I do? Flight is leaving from Terminal 5. Should I go to the airport, go through security, kill some time, then come back out to check in at BA desk? Or is there any place to hangout BEFORE security?

Thanks for any advice.

7 replies to this topic
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
22,384 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Very long layover at ORD

If I check in bags 4 hours prior to flight, does this increase the odds of lost luggage? - No

Should I go to the airport, go through security, kill some time, then come back out to check in at BA desk? - You wont be able to go through security without a boarding pass.

If it was me I'd just leave the bags at the hotel after you've checked out, explore Chicago for the last few hours then pick up bags and get to the airport - I would aim to arrive at ORD around 6.00pm for a 8.55pm flight. You don't need to spend most of the day at ORD.

Chicago
Level Contributor
8,008 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Very long layover at ORD

Just leave your bags at the hotel while you do other things. As stated, you can’t go through security without a boarding pass. If for some reason you want to head to the airport, you can hang at the airport Hilton.

Austin TX
Level Contributor
44 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Very long layover at ORD

Well, duh! I didn't think about needing a boarding pass to get through security. Thanks!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
51,540 posts
1,735 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Very long layover at ORD

Maybe grab a steak (the Tuna has been good too) at The Gaslight Club, or Italian at Hilton ORD:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-…

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-…

The hotel is attached just off of UA Baggage Claim, via underground walkway, or above ground, a level up.

Best of luck,

Hunt

Edited: 08 June 2018, 18:49
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
57,652 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Very long layover at ORD

sorry your whole post does not make sense. Are you staying at an airport hotel or in the city and going via the blue line (CTA) back and forth ? What problem are you trying to solve. Lost luggage issue or what to do for that long of a time.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,453 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Very long layover at ORD

It would help if you said where exactly your hotel is and how much time you have to kill. To answer your specific questions.

1. No, checking in early doesn't increase the odds of lost luggage.

2. There is absolutely nowhere in T5 at O'hare to hang out before security.

If you will be in Chicago the night before, I'm assuming this because you have a hotel room, the most enjoyable option is to leave the bags at the airport, go do something in Chicago, go back to the hotel to get your bags, then go to the airport to arrive 2-3 hours before departure. If you don't have time for that, the Hilton connected to the airport has a spa and I believe if you call them they'll give you a room for the day at a day rate.

7. Re: Very long layover at ORD

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2018, 21:11

Reply to: Very long layover at ORD
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted