We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tui hand luggage

Ireland
Level Contributor
37 posts
10 reviews
Tui hand luggage

Hi please can someone tell me do TUI airline weigh your hand luggage. I plan to travel to Barcelona and only take a carry on bag with me they say dimensions are 55x40x20 but weight not to exceed 5kg but surely most bags or cases weight 2or3 kg without any clothes in them .would it be possible to avoid a check in bag do you think. Thanks for any help

63 replies to this topic
UK
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
65 reviews
1. Re: Tui hand luggage

They might, they might not.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,323 posts
217 reviews
2. Re: Tui hand luggage

I’ve got a nylon zipped bag which weighs a few grams and meets the measurement limits. If you really want to save weight you could buy one of those or use a plastic carrier bag.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
11,542 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Tui hand luggage

I have cabin bags that weigh 3kg when empty, I also have one that weighs 800g. I use the lightweight one whenever I fly with an airline that has an allowance under 10kg.

I dare say TUI mean you can only have 5kg and will enforce it. If you’re determined to try to get around their rules, have your valuables, medicine and anything breakable in a seperate smaller bag in side the bag, so you can easily remove them, If caught and made to check it.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
41,512 posts
62 reviews
4. Re: Tui hand luggage

No way to tell, but the rules do apply to everyone. You knew when you booked that it was only 5kg. If that wasn't enough and you didn't want to check a bag then you should chosen a different airline who allow more hand luggage. For 5kg you could use a carrier bag that weighs virtually nothing. TUI UK are a charter airline and as such the majority of their passengers have checked luggage included in their package holiday, hence the low hand luggage allowance.

Edited: 04 June 2018, 01:10
newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
13,259 posts
170 reviews
5. Re: Tui hand luggage

Instead of being dishonest & asking if you can get away with it, , just ensure your carry on luggage meets the airlines maximum size & weight criteria

Most empty carry-on bags do not weigh 2-3kg's, why post complete rubbish like this ?

Ireland
Level Contributor
37 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: Tui hand luggage

Wow thanks for the sympathetic reply you should try and weigh a case with those dimensions and then see if I'm posting rubbish

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
23,792 posts
377 reviews
7. Re: Tui hand luggage

Or you should get a lighter bag?

Ireland
Level Contributor
37 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: Tui hand luggage

Yeah and you should appreciate an airline shouldn't give those dimensions without being practical about their weight

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
25,953 posts
38 reviews
9. Re: Tui hand luggage

I have a wide selection of bags that I use for travel because I use a wide variety of methods of travel - car, train, plane, etc. I travel from 1 night to over 6 or 7 weeks. Several of my relatively capacious bags weigh well less than 2 or 3 kg, and more to my surprise, are remarkably robust.

So, no, not all luggage needs to weigh that much!

Oh, and this is a public forum. If you wanted sympathy rather than honesty, maybe you need to find a different type of forum!

SWT

Brechin, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
Level Contributor
6,838 posts
43 reviews
10. Re: Tui hand luggage

We al have to abide by whatever airlines rules we fly with. It isn't a personal choice as such.

Reply to: Tui hand luggage
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted