We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Soap in carry on bag

Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Soap in carry on bag

Am I able to take 4 packs of bath soap in carry on luggage.

thank you

24 replies to this topic
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
11,514 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Soap in carry on bag

Yes, why wouldn’t you be? They are solids.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
10,823 posts
26 reviews
2. Re: Soap in carry on bag

In principle: yes you can.

Some soaps contain glycerin, they did trigger a security alert. This was especially the case with homemade glycerin soap bars.

Modern equipment should make the difference between a soap bar and other material. Still, some years back there was a ban on soap bars in some airports of less developed countries.

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
8,779 posts
50 reviews
3. Re: Soap in carry on bag

<<"Yes, why wouldn’t you be? They are solids. ">>

True. Although there's always one... I travel with a block of hard shaving soap to save carrying too many liquids... On one occasion at Heathrow my bag was pulled and the agent convinced herself that it arguably had a "creamy consistency" and should be in my liquids bag - despite me rapping it against the table to demonstrate just how "creamy" it wasn't. After a supervisor ruling and a swab test I was allowed to keep it.

The other umpteen times it's not been questioned, I guess the vast majority of agents know the difference between something that's completely solid and something that's, well, a cream.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
11,514 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: Soap in carry on bag

Had a similar experience at LCY when the security agent had issues with a solid deodorant stick. She said it looked like it could have been a liquid. I took the cap off and showed her it wasn't a cream jr a paste. There wasn't room in my liquids bag and I didn't have time to continue to argue, so abandoned it.

5. Re: Soap in carry on bag

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 March 2018, 14:45

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
6. Re: Soap in carry on bag

Yes.

seattle
Level Contributor
1,370 posts
1 review
7. Re: Soap in carry on bag

I had to undergo extra screening at LHR last year because of a solid shampoo block in my carry-on bag. Advise you put the soap in your liquids bag to avoid such a delay, which was quite long. Must say LHR has been the only security screening that triggered that alert but now to be safe I put it in the liquids bag.

Penn Laird...
Level Contributor
2 posts
58 reviews
8. Re: Soap in carry on bag

An additional question related to this: Should I avoid wearing any makeup or lotion containing glycerine or glyceryl to avoid delays in airport security? Is it OK to have them in my checked luggage?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,029 posts
25 reviews
9. Re: Soap in carry on bag

How do you folks even think these questions up?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
51 reviews
10. Re: Soap in carry on bag

How do these folks get though life on a daily basis ?

Reply to: Soap in carry on bag
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted