We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No show or cancel?

West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
224 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
No show or cancel?

I booked a return BA flight from London to the USA as it was cheaper than booking a one way flight into USA.

I will only be using the outbound sector as I will be returning from USA to England with a cruise.

After I get to the USA should I tell them I will not be using the return flight?

If I cancel it will I get any sort of refund?

Or should I just be a no show for the return flight?

TIA.

16 replies to this topic
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No show or cancel?

If you cancel, you might have to pay some fees. So I wouldn't do anything. Just tdont show up.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
17,330 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No show or cancel?

Just be a no show.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
8,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No show or cancel?

<<If I cancel it will I get any sort of refund?>>

That depends on the conditions of your fare which we don't know but which you should be able to suss out from the receipt or by calling BA and asking.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No show or cancel?

Obviously the OP bought a round trip because it was cheaper. Do you think he has anything more than a non refundable ticket? If you call the airline, you risk having your ticket repriced as a one way. So don't do it.

West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
224 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No show or cancel?

Thanks! Good point! I'll just be a no show.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
8,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No show or cancel?

I'd like someone to show me in any mainstream airline's fare rules for any fare, you pick, that the airline reserves the right to proactively reprice a round-trip fare as a 1-way fare when a passenger inquires about the fare conditions regarding canceling the inbound portion of the journey. Such a forum-fable.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16,729 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No show or cancel?

I agree with the above post and disagree with most forum regulars. In situations like this I always suggest calling the airlines. Tell them you're considering cancelling the return leg but are not sure. Ask them what the impact would be. They may tell you there's an extra cost, in which case you can tell them thanks for the information and you'll hang up and then just no-show. But they may give you back part of the flight cost, less a change fee, as a credit to use on a future flight. No way to know unless you ask.

And I agree with post 6 they're not going to retroactively re-price your ticket because you made an inquiry and then didn't show up. There's no harm in asking.

Level Contributor
265 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: No show or cancel?

A scare tactic by some here.

Airlines cannot change your ticket unless you authorize it. Talk is just talk.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,897 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: No show or cancel?

Not a scare tactic at all. Throw away fares, hidden city ticketing, failure to take all segments in the order listed in the itinerary, those are all listed in the contract of carriage. The wording is there whether you would like to believe it or not.

Also, think about the following... if the airlines didn't care about ticket fraud and abuse, why would they have active departments for just that purpose?

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,743 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: No show or cancel?

If yoy dont turn up you might be able collect the taxes on the unused leg

Reply to: No show or cancel?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted