We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why is it soooo hard to get refund from United?

Tinley Park...
Level Contributor
343 posts
3 reviews
Why is it soooo hard to get refund from United?

Booked a trip from Chicago to Rapid City on November 13 for 06/07-06/14. Got on line this week to check things out and that flight is cancelled. Called once for a refund the lady said NO. Called again an hour later and she said ok.....the refund will take 10 days to 2 weeks to appear on my credit card. I wonder if it REALLY will. Airlines HATE to give refunds.

9 replies to this topic
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,952 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Why is it soooo hard to get refund from United?

Have you used United's online refunds page?

https:/…refund.aspx

And btw, I am seeing three daily flights (non stop) in each direction on United between RAP and ORD for both 6th and 14th June. So it's not as though they've scrapped service on that route (indeed it's one they're just about to start).

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,026 posts
25 reviews
2. Re: Why is it soooo hard to get refund from United?

I also find United to be unsatisfactory with refunds.

Example with United-book flight, cancel withing the free period of 24 hours. They say they will "investigate" the refund and let me know. Takes about 10 days.

Compare that with AC-cancel within 24 hours and the refund is immediate and confirmation of it is immediate. (Either that or they never actually bill your credit card for the initial flight)

I mean, how hard can it be for United systems to determine you are cancelling a flight within 24 hours of purchasing it? What does it have to be "investigated" and then you have to wait a week or so to even find out they plan to refund it. Then the refund takes longer.

It's an old accounting trick--you use other people's money as long as you can by delaying your payables, yet for receivables (tickets) you demand cash on the spot. Their own policy says this:

Credit card refunds will be processed within seven business days of the request. All other refunds will be processed within 20 business days of the request, including:

No reason for it to take 7 days in this modern world.

Edited: 25 February 2018, 09:51
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,952 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Why is it soooo hard to get refund from United?

I canceled a United flight within 24 hours (I booked the wrong date) and the refund was on my credit card within 48 hours.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,026 posts
25 reviews
4. Re: Why is it soooo hard to get refund from United?

Well its been about 5 years since i had to cancel a United flight, so maybe their systems have improved since then.

Tinley Park...
Level Contributor
343 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Why is it soooo hard to get refund from United?

I did not cancel a flight within 24 hours. I booked the flight to attend a business meeting. The new flight will make me get there 1/2 way through the meeting. Thats why I need a refund. Hope it works out for me. The flight was $500+. The flight was booked in November/17.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
6. Re: Why is it soooo hard to get refund from United?

How many days have you been waiting?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,814 posts
149 reviews
7. Re: Why is it soooo hard to get refund from United?

never had issues with United refunds. have done the 24-hour cancellation as well as got a refund for a couple of flights and they were pretty fast. -- This is all in the US. and the refunds to my card were pretty fast

I've had issues with Air Canada not bothering to reply to refund requests after sending me on a wild goose chase from dept to dept -- on a codeshare flight and United gave me a credit voucher because AC was taking time

Edited: 26 February 2018, 05:35
Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
4,348 posts
778 reviews
8. Re: Why is it soooo hard to get refund from United?

I got a refund from them about 5 days after submitting my request.

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
7,061 posts
76 reviews
9. Re: Why is it soooo hard to get refund from United?

I used the United online submission form and received my refund within 3-5 days if my memory serves me correctly.

Reply to: Why is it soooo hard to get refund from United?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted