We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TSA Pre Check - BA booking

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
6,972 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
TSA Pre Check - BA booking

I am flying BA, IAH-LHR-AMS in June. I know that BA does not participate in the Trusted Traveller Program. Is it possible to use the TSA Pre Check lane at IAH by just showing your Global Entry Card or must you have Pre Check assigned by the airline onto your boarding pass? I'm guessing no but the Global Entry card has to be good for something, right?

Thanks for any responses.

17 replies to this topic
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
40,558 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TSA Pre Check - BA booking

Unfortunately if the airline doesn't participate you can't use pre check. This is a major contention of mine. Frequent flyers and random other " unknowns" can get pre check, but members who have been verified by the government can't!

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,665 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: TSA Pre Check - BA booking

"Is it possible to use the TSA Pre Check lane at IAH by just showing your Global Entry Card or must you have Pre Check assigned by the airline onto your boarding pass?"

No, you can't use your GE card for the pre-check line; it has to be shown on your boarding pass.

"but the Global Entry card has to be good for something, right?"

Yes, it's good for using the Nexus lanes when driving into the US from Canada and, with car registration, using SENTRI lanes when driving from Mexico as well. It's also good for using the priority CATSA security lines at Canadian airports (and yes, for what it's worth, that means you can use your GE card to get priority security screening in Canada but not the US).

UK
Level Contributor
2,614 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TSA Pre Check - BA booking

Seeing that the USA is BA’s most important market makes their delay in getting into the Pre-check program even more frustrating. I’m sure the reason lies somewhere between cost and ancient IT systems.

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
6,972 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TSA Pre Check - BA booking

Thanks everyone... I will suffer with the masses at IAH!

Port Townsend...
Level Contributor
3,864 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TSA Pre Check - BA booking

I don't think Global Entry gives you Nexus entry. I was surprised when previous poster claimed it did. Nexus does give you global entry, but I don't think it works in reverse.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,636 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TSA Pre Check - BA booking

That is my understanding as well. Nexus requires an interview with Canadian authorities and with Global En one has not met that requirement.

UK
Level Contributor
2,614 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TSA Pre Check - BA booking

https:/…card

"You may use this card for expedited entry into the United States via the SENTRI and NEXUS lanes. The card is not valid for entry into Canada via the NEXUS lanes."

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,665 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: TSA Pre Check - BA booking

"I don't think Global Entry gives you Nexus entry. I was surprised when previous poster claimed it did."

Let me clear up a few misundertandings above. I wasn't saying GE gives you full Nexus benefits -- it doesn't. For example, when entering Canada from the US you cannot drive through the Nexus lanes. However, it does give you a couple benefits that are the same as Nexus.

1) When entering the US from Canada (not the other way around) you can use the Nexus lanes. This is one of the things I mentioned and what Steve_ZAUK is quoting above.

2) GE includes the benefit of using the CATSA priority security lines at Canadian airports (The same lines Nexus gives you entry to, which I also mentioned). This requires you to have your GE card to show that you're a "trusted traveler" and eligible for the line. See below from the CATSA website:

"Certain individuals have been identified as low-risk travellers after undergoing extensive background checks. They carry special photo identification cards with security features that give them direct access to many airport security screening checkpoints across Canada.

Trusted Travellers include:

members of NEXUS and Global Entry programs;"

http://www.catsa.gc.ca/node/11

So, to be clear I wasn't claiming GE gives you Nexus (the opposite is true, I agree) I was stating specifically the uses of a GE card which include two Nexus benefits -- driving into the US and using Canadian airport priority security lines.

Edited: 22 February 2018, 21:49
Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
6,972 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TSA Pre Check - BA booking

Here is an update from BA on 23 May:

British Airways is delighted to be participating in the TSA Pre Check programme for customers departing from US airports. If you are a member of Global Entry, TSA Pre Check, NEXUS or SENTRI, please enter your 'Known Traveller Number' into your booking each time you check in online, then present a printed boarding pass to demonstrate your eligibility. Mobile boarding passes will be enabled for TSA Pre Check in summer 2018. Please note that New York JFK Terminal 7 will be available from summer 2018 due to terminal improvement works. Where a TSA Pre Check lane is not available, you can show your TSA Pre Check boarding pass and you may receive expedited screening in a standard lane. It is important to keep in mind that even if you are eligible for TSA Pre Check as a member of a trusted traveller programme, TSA Pre Check does not guarantee expedited screening.

UK
Level Contributor
2,614 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: TSA Pre Check - BA booking

The bit about mobile boarding passes is important (until they update the app) in that you need to get a paper one printed army check-in or at home.

Also you currently cannot add a KTN to a BA profile so you need to add it to each booking, either during online check-in or at the check-in desks.

Reply to: TSA Pre Check - BA booking
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted