We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dohop + Kiwi - different luggage allowance than airlines?

U.K
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Dohop + Kiwi - different luggage allowance than airlines?

On the official airline website (Blue air) they say you can either have a hold bag for 20kg OR 32 KG. Dohop are offering different allowances like 20kg, 26kg, 30kg. Kiwi.com are offering a luggage allowance of 22kg...

I'm worried when I get to the check in desk I'll be told I've gone over my luggage allowance (I'm catching two flights the first flight allows 22kg). How can Dohop and Kiwi offer different luggage allowances?

They said that because they're a travel agent they can... Something doesn't sound right.

Has anyone actually booked with Dohop or Kiwi and had more luggage allowance than those who booked directly with the airline? In the case of Kiwi.com, you would be allowed 22kg, whereas someone booking directly with the airline would be allowed only 20kg...?

19 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
15,513 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dohop + Kiwi - different luggage allowance than airlines?

"Has anyone actually booked with Dohop or Kiwi and had more luggage allowance than those who booked directly with the airline?"

Of course not. You'll be lucky if you have any luggage allowance at all. Do a search in the box above and then book your tickets direct from the airline.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
10,411 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dohop + Kiwi - different luggage allowance than airlines?

Have your credit card handy when you get to the airport, to pay for your checked luggage. There have been loads of complaints that kiwi have charged for a checked bag but when the pax gets to the airport, there hasn’t been one paid for. They also don’t give you the airline PNR, so you can’t log on to the airline site in advance to confirm your allowance or pre pay for one.

Good luck! I hope this works out for you. Pity you didn’t find this forum before you booked with Kiwi.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
3,741 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dohop + Kiwi - different luggage allowance than airlines?

A travel agency doesn't decide baggage allowances. The airline does.

U.K
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dohop + Kiwi - different luggage allowance than airlines?

I've read what people have put, but providing that there are no delays - everything should go fine?

Like what can go wrong? The issues I've read are because of delayed connecting flights, but if this doesn't happen - what can go wrong?

My thinking is they'll deal with my booking rather than me booking separately?I've read what people have put, but providing that there are no delays - everything should go fine?

U.K
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dohop + Kiwi - different luggage allowance than airlines?

So do you feel like I shouldn't fly with them? And book two different flights?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
15,513 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dohop + Kiwi - different luggage allowance than airlines?

"My thinking is they'll deal with my booking rather than me booking separately?"

Deal with it in what way? There's no reason at all to book through Kiwi. If you're happy with the risk of booking separate tickets then just book them direct from the relevant airlines. You'll likely save money doing so,

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
10,411 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dohop + Kiwi - different luggage allowance than airlines?

I was uunder the impression you’d already booked with kiwi, so you’ve no choice but to hope it all goes smoothly.

If you’ve not actually booked, I’d run away and book directly with the airline.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
16,988 posts
401 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dohop + Kiwi - different luggage allowance than airlines?

Just book direct here

https://www.blueairweb.com/en/gb/

SS

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
15,936 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dohop + Kiwi - different luggage allowance than airlines?

Kiwi are known for taking two separate tickets and cobbling them together on an itinerary.

One problem that might arise is that you don't have enough time between flights, especially if you have to clear Immigration at your first point of call, collect luggage, re-check it and re-clear Security.

You also need to check you've got all your Immigration / visas in place if they're considered separate tickets and not a true connection.

U.K
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dohop + Kiwi - different luggage allowance than airlines?

I've checked and I have 3 hours for the layover time, I feel this is enough?

Also, it's cheaper for me to book directly with Kiwi, that's why I thought I'd go with them... I though it looked okay but after reading on here I've read a lot of negative reviews. I was thinking IF something was to go wrong, they MAY help me... If not then the journey will go smoothly. But then I ran into the issue of the different luggage allowances?

Reply to: Dohop + Kiwi - different luggage allowance than airlines?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted