We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United to provide more information about flight delays

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,735 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
United to provide more information about flight delays

United is trialing a new system to give more information about why their flights are delayed. The first routes to beta test this will be flights into/out of Phoenix and Houston.They tried this at Newark last year with weather delays.

"That day, (Scott) Kirby said, United delayed many Newark flights due to weather, even though the weather in the Northeast and the Midwest was 'perfectly clear.' The problem was a line of thunderstorms in Virginia and the Carolinas. Planes coming from Florida needed to fly around the storms, and they landed late at Newark.

Usually, Kirby said, 'we would just say weather delay, and people look out and say it’s perfectly clear here, it’s perfectly clear in Chicago, you’re lying.'

Instead, Kirby said United sent customers a picture of the thunderstorms, with a note saying, '…your plane is coming from Fort Lauderdale and it has to divert around this so it is going to be late getting here.'

It generally worked, Kirby said."

https:/…

2 replies to this topic
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: United to provide more information about flight delays

It is a good idea.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
52,219 posts
1,742 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: United to provide more information about flight delays

Will be interesting.

Flying out of PHX, should put us near the tip of the spear.

Now, in the example, in the linked article, I saw, “flight delayed, waiting on incoming aircraft... “

I have gotten that on my UA App, while looking at the plane, which had arrived, all pax deplaned, and then we were put on a Ground Hold, by ATC at SFO... ?

Hope it’s accuracy will be improved.

Thanks,

Hunt

Reply to: United to provide more information about flight delays
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted