We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kLM - compensation and refund problems

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
kLM - compensation and refund problems

kLM promised to pay compensation for a cancelled flight plus refund of comfort seats and call costs (i have this in writing). They said they would pay with 3-4 weeks and despite my chasing, i received nothing so far. Anybody else experienced this and how did you resolve?

31 replies to this topic
Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,637 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: kLM - compensation and refund problems

How long ago did they make this promise?

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
8,788 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: kLM - compensation and refund problems

I claimed compensation payment online with them and they paid within a short time without any issues.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: kLM - compensation and refund problems

I put in the claim online in early December and they promised to pay within 3-4 weeks which has passed. I contacted them on numerous occasions and no response. I contacted them on social media and provided with lots of excuses but still no payment. I had to pay over £70 in phone costs to rebook my flight (we were stranded in New York and live in the UK) we had to fly home via 4 airports in the end.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
21,594 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: kLM - compensation and refund problems

just have a little patience. far too soon to be making a fuss. there was a lot of disruption of flights over the last month and there will be many claims to be dealt with. the delay in repayment of 70£ is hardly going to be a big issue.

i presume that it was in fact klm that did get you home?

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: kLM - compensation and refund problems

Actuality the payment is over £1200 not £70. No, THEY didnt get us home - we had to make our own arrangements. So 'i feel i am well within my rights 'making a fuss' over £1200 when i was promised it within 3-4weeks and out of pocket.

Edited: 20 January 2018, 15:22
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
21,594 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: kLM - compensation and refund problems

ah, you did not say that you paid out for making other arrangements. nevertheless, klm have said that they are dealing with it so just be patient.

by the way, what was reason for cancellation? what did klm offer as alternative? there could well be reasons why you would not be recompensed in full.

did you have travel insurance?

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
12,228 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: kLM - compensation and refund problems

Use twitter, I have had great luck dealing with KLM that way.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,650 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: kLM - compensation and refund problems

"there could well be reasons why you would not be recompensed in full."

The OP already said what KLM has agreed to pay (£1200), his complaint has nothing to with receiving only partial compensation.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
21,594 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: kLM - compensation and refund problems

no, the op did not mention a figure ! the compensation could have been just for out of pocket expenses such as phone which he mentioned. they will not pay out willy nilly and will have to assess their legal liability first.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,650 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: kLM - compensation and refund problems

Yes he did, in post 5. In the same post he explicitly states that this is the amount KLM has agreed to pay.

Reply to: kLM - compensation and refund problems
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted