We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Enquity about transit visa

St. John's, Canada
5 posts
Save Topic
Enquity about transit visa

Hiiii I am Utsab Basu, from Kolkata, India. I am an international student studying in Canada. I am planing to visit India on this April 2018. The tickets I have seen is all via London ( LHR ) and it also have long time layovers. As far as I know being an Indian and having study visa for Canada, we don't need to apply for a transit visa . But as its having a long layover, can I get a short time visa for like one day, so that I can see the beautiful London during my layover. I cannot apply visa from where I live as there is no biometric clinic for UK visa applicants. Is there a way I can apply it from the ( LHR ) airport, or apply online but do the biometric test on airport and get the transit visa overthere? My brother got the visa from airport as he was going back to India too. But I just want to make sure about it and rules and every thing.

Hope to get an answer from you very soon.

Thanks a lot

12 replies to this topic
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,794 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Enquity about transit visa

You can use this website to determine if you can transit without a visa. You're talking about being a Visitor in Transit (departing the day after you arrival in the UK) as opposed to a Direct Airside Transit (where you don't leave the airport at all) and it looks to me like you'd be eligible to transit without a visa.

https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa

Edited: 18 January 2018, 08:45
St. John's, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Enquity about transit visa

Thanks.

I can understand that I don’t need a transit visa, but can I vist some places, without the visa or like get out from the airport? Its like 15 hours of layover.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,794 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Enquity about transit visa

Did you read the definition of Visitor in Transit, as opposed to Direct Airside Transit? It explains what you're allowed to do.

https://www.gov.uk/transit-visa

Edited: 18 January 2018, 09:27
St. John's, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Enquity about transit visa

Thanks a lot, I didn’t knew the whole thing. How can i leave the airport?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,794 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Enquity about transit visa

I'm not sure I understand your question: by walking?

St. John's, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Enquity about transit visa

I don’t know the rules, how they would deal with it. And is there any airport tour services?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,794 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Enquity about transit visa

The rules are: you are allowed to leave the airport, as long as you leave the country by air within 48 hours. If you want assistance for what to see and how to travel around London, I suggest you post in the London forum, I am sure they will be happy to help you; though I suggest you read a little there first before you ask questions: you will find a wealth of knowledge already available.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,651 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Enquity about transit visa

"The rules are: you are allowed to leave the airport, as long as you leave the country by air within 48 hours. "

========

That's NOT corrrect. It may be a subtle difference but it's very important. The requirement is that you depart the UK by air before midnight the next day. That's invariably less than 48 hours.

And the purpose of the layover must be solely for transit (wait for the next flight). And you must state that to the immigration officer. Once admitted you can go whatever you like while waiting for the onward flight, but if the immigration officer suspects that the real purpose of a long layover is tourism or to stay with family/friends you could be in trouble. That's why proof/evidence of your proper purpose is good, such as having a confirmed hotel reservation convenient for your departing airport.

Edited: 18 January 2018, 11:07
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
10,667 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Enquity about transit visa

@Utsab

I do not know how to explain it to you, but you have been given all information. And sorry for being straight forward. You are a student. Please invest a minimum amount of time in:

1.) Reading through the link which has been given to you incl. definitions. It explains everything.

2.) Google a bit yourself.

3.) If you really think that you are unable to take a train or metro by yourself, download a map on your phone or buy a physical map and explore a city, then ....

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Enquity about transit visa

Exactly how long is the layover? The transit from LHR to London is not quick nor inexpensive.

Reply to: Enquity about transit visa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted