We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westjet YYJ--DUB spring startup booking.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Westjet YYJ--DUB spring startup booking.

I’m trying to word this so it doesn’t sound like the tired old question; “when should I book?”

I’m fixated on Westjet; YYJ to DUB, May 02-19, because of departure/arrival times and Ireland bookings.

Westjet starts their DUB season April 28.

I’ve been watching WJ daily since early Dec and with the exception of a $150 jump in January prices have not moved. I’m looking at $1900 PE return.

I am wondering if anyone has any historical sense of this particular route. Is it busy right from the start so prices have never dropped in the interim, Jan to May? Is it a highly popular May route so it fills quickly, soon? Has anyone ever seen a substantial spring price drop, even for a couple of days?

US carriers routing through SEA-JFK saves $600 but I don’t want to go through the US and do want to support the locals.

I’m just looking for that person who says; “I have booked this run several times and this is what I have observed.”

Thanks to those of you who are not rolling your eyes.

21 replies to this topic
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
10,437 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westjet YYJ--DUB spring startup booking.

Demand and supply have a large impact on ticket prices. Past developments do not predict future developments.

Your flight is around 3.5 months out. This is not a bad moment to book.

Typically prices are high when the flight is released, then drop and then demand and supply comes into play.

Unless somebody has insight in the demand/supply situation on this route and the algorithm linking occupancy rate and proximity of flight, your question cannot be answered.

Best are still:

1.) Set yourself a target price, when the price is reached, buy and never look back.

2.) Set yourself a latest booking date, in case target price is not reached.

3.) Buy directly from the airline.

Personally, I think buying 5-3 months out not a bad idea.

Nobody here can tell if prices will decrease or increase in the short future.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
6,556 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westjet YYJ--DUB spring startup booking.

I don't think there's ever been a direct flight from YYJ to Dublin - possibly not even from YVR - so it's very difficult to predict. If the price suits your budget, buy now rather than fretting about it.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
4,111 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Westjet YYJ--DUB spring startup booking.

Unless I'm mistaken you're looking at a "4 flight - 3 stop" routing of YYJ-YYC-YYZ-YYT-DUB, and if that is so, I'd consider the odds of it coming down to be against you.

>>> Is it a highly popular May route so it fills quickly, soon?<<<

I doubt *that route* is popular, no, but as it is 4 sectors also available for purchase independantly, if any one sector is popular, and fills quickly, it will affect the price of your route which joins all 4 together. IMO your risk of it going up is far greater than the likelyhood of it coming down.

I do hope you *REALLY* enjoy Dublin tho' . . . . after taking on 14hours in a 737 to get there, awesome feat ;-))

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
4,358 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westjet YYJ--DUB spring startup booking.

Just to add, if the route is actually YYJ-YYC-YYZ-YYT-DUB, the Dublin flight is very popular for Canadians on the east coast because it is used to interconnect to other European destinations, so the YYT to DUB flight may begin to book up.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
4,111 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Westjet YYJ--DUB spring startup booking.

How interesting - I've been looking at it the other way round, the DUB-YYT also feeds Hawaii, Orlando, Vegas et al. So, the potential to fill a 737 is available at both ends, Ireland & Canada.

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
4,358 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Westjet YYJ--DUB spring startup booking.

JackBossBob, here in Newfoundland, Canada, many of our population have Irish roots. Ireland has become a very popular destination since WestJet began its direct YYT flights to DUB. I myself have used this route, as well as the direct YYT to LGW flight.

But you are right, DUB to YYT could be used as a feeder to many North American destinations.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Westjet YYJ--DUB spring startup booking.

Thank you all for your thought provoking answers, sans sarcasm.

I had not thought about the significance of “4 sectors” as JockBossBob pointed out nor the “feeder” factor in both directions. Those are such good points so, I’m glad I asked.

Dubai_Phil_64; the steps you laid out is how I have been thinking and working this. Thanks.

Darrenmcc; Westjet flies, YYJ-YVR or YYC-YYZ-YYT-DUB, as JockBossBob said. Thanks for your input and I am not fretting.

JockBossBob and Janidd; the two of you have shined the greatest light on this and given me what I was after. I really appreciate your local knowledge.

Of course it makes sense that DUB would be a very popular destination as you have described. The DUB to YYT leg is the one that jumped in price and it puzzled me but I get it now.

Thanks again.

Edited: 14 January 2018, 21:05
British Columbia
Level Contributor
906 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Westjet YYJ--DUB spring startup booking.

I do have some experience with this route, well very close. I flew YLW-dub. And I've also flown to London on westjet. I flew in May and best price was around $800. I booked in December. It did remain fairly steady though. I watch pricing a lot. If u do not have westjet dollars or a companion fare though, I believe u can get better price air transat from Vancouver. And yes may June July August seem to be a bit higher although end June July August can run up to $1200.

Remember too, no food, bag fees, and seat fees. Get the westjet card and get $250 dollars toward flight.

I'm actually wondering about October pricing? I'm hoping to see around 650 .?

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Westjet YYJ--DUB spring startup booking.

Thanks, BB.

You do that trip economy all the way?

Transat times don't excite me, nor do some of the reviews.

British Columbia
Level Contributor
906 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Westjet YYJ--DUB spring startup booking.

HI

Yes 2 of 3 times I did economy and one time that i flew Kelowna-Vancouver-LGW, I was able to upgrade 24 hours in advance to plus for $150 and it was so worth it.. Wow, got great sleep. First time ever as Im not one to pay for first class or even economy plus, although I can see why people definitely do.

I have flown air transit twice and it was good too. I bought the bulkhead seats last time and it was awesome. Lots of leg room for sleeping. AND you do get a bag and meal. I paid for seat.

I am booked with Air Transat in June as they had a sale. I got Vancouver-Amersterdam for $819 and I had a credit. For beginning of June, I thought that was a good price.

Reply to: Westjet YYJ--DUB spring startup booking.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted