We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which baggage fee do I pay? (KLM/AF/Delta)

Turku, Finland
Level Contributor
713 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Which baggage fee do I pay? (KLM/AF/Delta)

I usually book my flights directly with the airlines, to avoid any possible extra issues. Straight to the source et al.

Now I didn't because the price would have been a lot higher, so I went through a travel agency. Already regretting it (but perhaps it wouldn't have been any different in this case).

Now I don't know what I will have to pay for my checked baggage and none of the airline's websites make me any wiser.

Ticket is issued via Air France. First leg HEL-AMS is operated by KLM with a KLM code. Second leg is AMS-PDX (Portland, OR) with Delta (AF code).

Ticket class states Economy, not Economy Light. According to the info on the Delta site my booking class for their flight is Main Cabin (V). And then vice versa when coming back home.

But, according to my ticket I have 0 checked baggage and the KLM site states I can only modify this at the airport.

So. I assume I will have to pay something to KLM when departing Helsinki, but what? According to their calculator extra baggage is 85€ (!!) HEL-PDX when bought at the airport, but the site doesn't seem to take into account the changes in service starting this April (no free bags in some transatlantic Economy classes anymore).

But then, according to Delta, I'm in Main Cabin, not Economy Basic, which means I should be able to get one piece of checked luggage for free. But do I still have to pay for the whole journey to KLM, and not just for HEL-AMS? (I would assume since the bags will be checked through to Portland in Helsinki?)

This is messy, yes. I knew when booking the ticket that checked baggage was not included, but I didn't think it would be this complicated, just that I would be able to sort it out online in advance. Apparently not.

In short, do I stare at the line that says "0 checked baggage" on the ticket or should I be able to trust the booking classes? So on the return trip, flying with Delta US-Europe, do I pay according to a line on the ticket or according to the booking class? Because they don't match.

22 replies to this topic
W Yorkshire
Level Contributor
4,579 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which baggage fee do I pay? (KLM/AF/Delta)

The MSC rules should apply.

Delta is the MSC in this case, therefore their baggage rules should apply.

I'm not a big fan of any code share flights; I've found them all too often a recipe for confusion.

I would call AF/KLM for clarity, either that or contact them on Facebook, they generally reply pretty quickly.

Turku, Finland
Level Contributor
713 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which baggage fee do I pay? (KLM/AF/Delta)

Thank you. I thought of that rule myself a moment ago, because the KLM app states that the trip is by another carrier and I should go to their website to purchase baggage. Which is confusing when the operating carrier for the first flight is KLM.

But, THAT rule makes it logical, even though the heads-up on the app doesn't make sense in itself (if you are not aware of the rule).

If it goes by Delta rules it becomes even more interesting as then the info on the ticket and what the booking class online says go against each other. Also, the Delta site doesn't give me an opportunity to purchase checked baggage in advance either.

Oh well, as long as I'm able to get a bag checked with this ticket all is well.

Tried contacting KLM via Messenger yesterday and Whatsapp earlier today, no answer. Have not been able to call them because of work, but will do it asap.

This trip is only in late May so no hurry really, but it is infuriating to have a detail like this up in the air. I just really really want to know the parameters, :).

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,070 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which baggage fee do I pay? (KLM/AF/Delta)

Contact by Facebook always works best for me, as their is no hurry they might take a little longer and deal with urgent cases first.

Turku, Finland
Level Contributor
713 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which baggage fee do I pay? (KLM/AF/Delta)

bongoblog, yup, completely understandable that they deal with more urgent matters first, :).

I just got an answer and it is indeed because of codeshare I can't pay any baggage fees online, will have to do it at the airport. According to KLM the fee will be based on the first operating airline's rules. They could not give me an exact amount for the fee, but I hope it won't be the 85€ the calculator on the website gives me. Seems excessive considering Delta charges 50€/bag on transatlantic routes (no matter when and where you pay it).

But it is possible KLM's calculator doesn't yet take into account the changes they start to implement starting in April. We'll see.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,502 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which baggage fee do I pay? (KLM/AF/Delta)

The MSC rules should apply.

Delta is the MSC in this case, therefore their baggage rules should apply.

==============

Nope that's not correct. As the destination on the ticket is the US, then US law applies and it's the First Marketing Carrier's allowance that applies for the whole trip. The FMC for a HEL-AMS-PDX trip is KLM.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g41707-…

The AMS-PDX leg isn't Basic Economy so the first leg shouldnt be either. The long haul allowance for KLM (you're checking in for a long haul trip) is one free bag @23kg. So it should not be showing zero.

Which third party did you book through?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,502 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which baggage fee do I pay? (KLM/AF/Delta)

I just got an answer and it is indeed because of codeshare I can't pay any baggage fees online, will have to do it at the airport. According to KLM the fee will be based on the first operating airline's rules.

===================

Again, the KLM person you spoke with is also wrong. For tickets to/from the US, it's the First Marketing Carrier. Now in this case as the KLM flight has a KL flight code it is KLM.

However as they didn;t state what the fee would be I still think it will be €0. That's assuming the third party booked the flights on one ticket.

Turku, Finland
Level Contributor
713 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which baggage fee do I pay? (KLM/AF/Delta)

The ticket is via "Ticket", one of the biggest Scandinavian travel agencies.

All the different agencies (when searching on Skyscanner) stated clearly that checked luggage was not included in the tickets with AF/KLM/Delta. Starting April 10th there will be no free checked baggage included in the cheapest transatlantic tickets with these carriers, so I guess this is why.

But yes, the booking classes on the ticket don't match the note about "zero baggage".

Will be interesting to see what the result in the end is.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,502 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which baggage fee do I pay? (KLM/AF/Delta)

Your e-ticket receipt should show the baggage allowance. I don't know if Delta or KLM will have the e-ticket in their reservations as the likely ticketing carrier for this is Air France (marketing carrier for the long haul leg). See if you have the Air France PNR (reservation code) and access your reservation on their site. Then download the ticket receipt and somewhere (probably near the bottom) it will show the allowances for each flight.

Good luck.

Turku, Finland
Level Contributor
713 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which baggage fee do I pay? (KLM/AF/Delta)

That was a good hint! I could get the e-ticket sent to me by e-mail through the Air France web site. Still "Bagages : 0PC", but also a clear help at the end where they state that the flight will be operated by KLM/Delta and if my need for baggage exceeds the number stated on the ticket it is the rules of the partner that apply (glad some airlines know how to articulate themselves so you understand what they mean).

Also interesting, the HEL-AMS-HEL part of the trip is in L class, so not lowest economy, at least according to one graph on the web. But then again, according to another graph ALL the subclasses have the three options of light, standard and flex, so perhaps that L is no indication of anything. Would have to see the whole code I guess.

AMS-PDX-AMS is in class V, and I already reserved seats on those flights for free, which clearly indicates it is not Basic Economy.

So none the wiser really, or not definitely, but at least I learned a great deal about airline baggage allowances et al, :).

Edited: 12 January 2018, 06:46
W Yorkshire
Level Contributor
4,579 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which baggage fee do I pay? (KLM/AF/Delta)

My apologies,

As I said, I dislike code share flights for this exact reason.

Reply to: Which baggage fee do I pay? (KLM/AF/Delta)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted