We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryanair flight change and compensation?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
267 posts
25 reviews
Ryanair flight change and compensation?

We booked Ryanair 3 months ago for our family trip from ATH to Santorini next March. I recently notice they moved my flight more than 3 hours earlier(of course without notice). Since we will fly from US to AThens on separate ticket, we won't be at Athens airport earlier enough to catch the flight with the earlier departure time any more. There is no later Ryanair flight that night to JTR. Seems my option is either get a refund and book Aagean myself for that night or rebook with Ryanair for next day. Now the only late night flight (Aegean) is 3 times as expensive as I would have booked 3 months ago($460 instead of $150), will Ryanair reimburse the difference if I choose to refund with Ryanair and book with Olympic myself? I wasn't really familiar with EU airline operators, and wished I knew Ryanair's reputation better 3 months ago.

The next day Ryanair flight is cheaper than what we have paid(maybe $80), and I was told if we choose rebooking for the next day, Ryanair won't pay me back the difference either. I guess I could request refund, and rebook the next day Ryanair myself. But in that case, will Ryanair reimburse my hotel close to airport for the night? My santorini hotel is all prepaid, and no way to rebook,

Thanks ahead for any suggestions or sharing of experience.

12 replies to this topic
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
23,732 posts
377 reviews
1. Re: Ryanair flight change and compensation?

That's the risk of 'connecting' on separate tickets. There is a Top Question which talks about the risk.

https:/…Connecting.On.Separate.Tickets.html

Kenitra, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,421 posts
107 reviews
2. Re: Ryanair flight change and compensation?

Problem with this is ryanair tickets are not refundable.

https:/…Can-I-cancel-my-booking-before-travel

Unless they are offering you a choice of refund because they have changed the flight time? In unsure as I haven't had that happen but I know in normal circumstances there are no refunds.

You can change it though at a fee and difference.

With compensation for hotels etc because you choose to change your flight to the next day.. No compensation is applicable.

Edited: 17 December 2017, 03:04
Kenitra, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,421 posts
107 reviews
3. Re: Ryanair flight change and compensation?

With compensation for hotels etc because you choose to change your flight to the next day.. No compensation is applicable.

Or if you choose to cancel the ticket.

Low cost point to point carriers are very strict on everything!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
267 posts
25 reviews
4. Re: Ryanair flight change and compensation?

Thanks all for the inputs. Points all taken.

Italy
Level Contributor
8,907 posts
5. Re: Ryanair flight change and compensation?

It's not just low costs. They've give you three months warning of a change nobody is going to take responsibility for what you may have booked.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,882 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Ryanair flight change and compensation?

Your best bet is to get a refund of the original RyanAir tickets and then book alternative flights. But as the traveler article in post #1 mentions (and you've just experienced) there could be another schedule change. So book new flights with a ton of contingency, and factor in the possibility of your inbound flight being delayed.

The fact that the FR flight being brought forward by only 3 hours messes up your current plans means you hadn't factored anywhere near enough contingency in the first place.

I occasionally do separate tickets trips but allow an enormous amount of contingency. And yes that contingency has saved my bacon once; a 2.5 hour delay on first flight with a long haul USA-Asia ticket at risk, I had a 9.5 hour layover (including 3 backup flights to the ticket split airport) so didn't lose my $2000+ onward ticket.

Edited: 17 December 2017, 12:53
Berry, Australia
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
196 reviews
7. Re: Ryanair flight change and compensation?

Personally I would pay 60-100pounds for a nice hotel near Athens airport, and take the next day flight. That allow good contingency planning for travel on seperate tickets.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
16,683 posts
72 reviews
8. Re: Ryanair flight change and compensation?

"I wasn't really familiar with EU airline operators, and wished I knew Ryanair's reputation better 3 months ago."

Nothing wrong with Ryanair. All airlines make schedule changes, especially when you have booked months in advance. These are the risks of self-connecting without allowing enough contingency, as USBT says.

I would take the refund, book the cheaper flights the next day, and use the savings for a hotel in Athens. You won't lose anything apart from a few hours in Santorini.

BTW, I would also check that the hotel in Santorini won't give away your room if you don't arrive on the first night.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
72,757 posts
476 reviews
9. Re: Ryanair flight change and compensation?

The problem here is not Ryanair, and nor is it anything to do with being in Europe. I'm afraid it's down to not leaving enough of a cushion between separately ticketed flights, presumably because you were not aware of how often airlines reschedule flights, nor of the risks inherent in using separate tickes.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
41,380 posts
62 reviews
10. Re: Ryanair flight change and compensation?

This problem hasn't been caused by Ryanair. A 3 hr schedule change is hardly a big change. Your ex USA flight could easily be delayed by that length of time. You just didn't leave enough time between flights.

Reply to: Ryanair flight change and compensation?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted