We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling USA to UK - Direct Airside Transit visa (DATV)

Fort Worth, Texas
5 posts
Save Topic
Travelling USA to UK - Direct Airside Transit visa (DATV)

Please assist. Family member traveling USA to South Africa through Heathrow. No luggage to connect and only staying in airport for >12 hours( not overnight). Needing to travel from T3 to T5. Will he need the DATV visa? I have already looked into it through uk but there is conflicting information on the visa application, saying visa not needed if no change of airport.

6 replies to this topic
UK
Level Contributor
2,616 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling USA to UK - Direct Airside Transit visa (DATV)

What passport are you travelling on?

12 hours is a long time to spend in any airport so I would plan on getting out if possible.

UK
Level Contributor
8,990 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling USA to UK - Direct Airside Transit visa (DATV)

If they are US citizens they don't need a visa.

If they are South African citizens they normally need a DATV but are exempt if they hold a US visa or Green Card.

They can also go landside without a visa, but generally only if they HAVE TO - for example, if it's an overnight stop-over and they need to stay at a hotel, of if they need to transfer from one airport to another. If they have no reason to go landside then the exemption does not apply, but I read somewhere that sometimes Immigration officials will allow passengers to go landside even when there is no need to - so there is no harm in trying, the worst that can happenis that they get sent back airside.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
10,698 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling USA to UK - Direct Airside Transit visa (DATV)

Have a look here: https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa

This is the official UK website. This should clarify the need of a visa.

I would not trust strangers on the internet when it comes to visa. Your family risk a denied boarding if they do not have the required docs. And stating that Bill or Trixi from the TA air travel forum said that they do not need visa, will hardly impress a checking-in agent or immigration officer.

Fort Worth, Texas
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling USA to UK - Direct Airside Transit visa (DATV)

Thank you!

Fort Worth, Texas
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling USA to UK - Direct Airside Transit visa (DATV)

Thanks for your reply.

Dallas
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling USA to UK - Direct Airside Transit visa (DATV)

We did this a few years ago (US Passport holders). As noted, no visa required. Spent the 12 hr day at Windsor Castle...Easy bus ride to & fro. Or taxi. Be sure to leave plenty of time to get back to the airport though. Traffic can get difficult.

Reply to: Travelling USA to UK - Direct Airside Transit visa (DATV)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted