We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

eDreams who is the flight ticket owner?

Johannesburg, South...
2 posts
eDreams who is the flight ticket owner?

Hello everybody,

Unfortunately I haven't read any topic about eDreams prior getting tickets through them and I ended here writing one more about them.

I bought some tickets through eDreams for my girlfriend and myself and I needed to cancel them for an unexpected reason.

I requested them to write me in email and provide me with a breakdown of a refund I was supposed to be reimbursed, they keep on insisting in getting in contact through phone and are unwilling to provide anything in written.

I even bought some sort of "cancellation insurance" at the time of booking, thinking if there is a need to cancel the tickets it will go smooth.

They told me over the phone that a fee of EUR49.00 will be deducted for each ticket as an airline cancelation fee.

I was unwilling of paying the fee since the exact amount in case of cancellation was not stated at the purchase, and they could have said any amount they came with.

I directly contacted airline trying to cancel the flight directly but I got answer that I am not the owner of the tickets and that I cannot do anything as eDreams is in possession of the tickets.

The question would be, am I the owner of the tickets I paid for and how come the agent is owner of the tickets?

P.S.

Other thing I would like to mention, even though they say in their terms and conditions they will share credit card details with Travel Supplier nowhere says they will buy ticket on your behalf for themselves to be owner.

On the other hand any sharing of credit card details in that manner requires written authorization by the card owner followed by owners copy of id etc.

They are really not cooperative in emails and they are not answering on questions nor provide information which is asked from them.

I contacted my bank and I am about to rise a dispute, from what I read it is the best solution.

Anybody had any experience like this one.

By the number of topics I have seen, unfortunately bad ones, about eDreams don't You think it should be addressed to IATA as well since they gave them a license to operate.

Thanks Everybody!

23 replies to this topic
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
24,038 posts
378 reviews
1. Re: eDreams who is the flight ticket owner?

Normal practice when booking through a third party is that it is them, and not the purchaser who own the ticket. If you need to cancel them, then you'll just have to accept whatever fees that eDreams levy.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
41,817 posts
62 reviews
2. Re: eDreams who is the flight ticket owner?

<<They told me over the phone that a fee of EUR49.00 will be deducted for each ticket as an airline cancelation fee.

I was unwilling of paying the fee since the exact amount in case of cancellation was not stated at the purchase, >>

They tell you about their cancellation admin fee in their terms and conditions, which it appears you did not bother to read.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
16,731 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: eDreams who is the flight ticket owner?

The question would be, am I the owner of the tickets I paid for and how come the agent is owner of the tickets?

============

eDreams (aka eNightmares) controls the booking since you elected to appoint them your agent to act on your behalf.

This means you're locked into two sets of T&C's - the airline plus eDreams.

Yes, they're not good, but enough people seem that they're good enough when they think they're getting a bargain.

If they stop using them, hopefully they'll go out of business. But I won't hold my breath.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
10,922 posts
26 reviews
4. Re: eDreams who is the flight ticket owner?

<< I got answer that I am not the owner of the tickets>>

<<nowhere says they will buy ticket on your behalf for themselves to be owner.>>

=> Sorry, but you are wrong. Maybe read again their T&C's: <<2.4 By using this Platform to purchase Travel Services, You authorize Dreams to act as your agent >>

You have appointed eDreams as your agent to act for and on your behalf. Therefore the airline is due a travel service to you but you are not the airline client but your agent is. Hence, once appointed, you depend on the agency.

https://www.edreams.com/terms-and-conditions/

How much you get back. In many cases the tickets you buy are non-refundable tickets. If they are refundable, then you own the agent a fee, in your case EU 49 per ticket.

Buying directly from the airline, avoids the middle man, the cost of the middle man and the dependency of an agent.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
13,439 posts
169 reviews
5. Re: eDreams who is the flight ticket owner?

Where do they all keep coming from ?, and why do none of them do any research whatsoever ?

Edreams & all the other 3rtd party agents have had yet another good year I think

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
59,344 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: eDreams who is the flight ticket owner?

'Where do they all keep coming from?' People want to save money, which is understandable.

The lure of adverts is strong. Shiny clickbaits and 30 second spots on television and on line don't encourage deeper consideration of what's behind the curtain (as it were) and as such people are nudged to think that X is a bargain because they've been told it's a bargain.

Whether people are willing to read what was once fine print but is now written in plainer langauage and (usually) easily available is another matter. Not knowing what one is buying is at the base of a lot of complaints about third party sites, but the option to be an informed consumer remains with the person making the booking.

UK
Level Contributor
9,301 posts
26 reviews
7. Re: eDreams who is the flight ticket owner?

On this occasion, though, I don't think Edreams are to blame. The OP doesn't seem to understand the nature of his contract. He has a contract with Edreams. Edreams has a contract with the airline. When a ticket is booked through an agent there is no direct contract between customer and airline, everything has to be done through the agent, and the airline (under THEIR contract with the agent) cannot touch the booking, except in a very limited set of circumstances (such as rebooking the customer onto a different flight if there is a cancellation on the day of travel)

This goes for all agents, good ones and bad ones alike.

Edited: 12 December 2017, 01:02
concord nh
Level Contributor
4,388 posts
54 reviews
8. Re: eDreams who is the flight ticket owner?

It is imperative that you book directly with either an airlines or a reputable third-party like Priceline, Expedia, CheapO, or Vayama. Some of these third-party websites with names you never heard of or think are very "cute" can be rip-offs or terrible customer service. I would rather book with the airline so you'll know you are getting what you paid for, good customer service and reliable reputation.

Thinking you can save money with an unknown third-party website may end up costing you a lot more than money!

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,327 posts
38 reviews
9. Re: eDreams who is the flight ticket owner?

>>It is imperative that you book directly with either an airlines or a reputable third-party like Priceline, Expedia, CheapO, or Vayama<<

Gosh, that's an interesting list of OTAs that you are calling reputable. I'm not sure many other travellers would agree!

SWT

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
11,915 posts
17 reviews
10. Re: eDreams who is the flight ticket owner?

I would not use the word reputable in the same sentence as Vayama and CheapoAir.....

Reply to: eDreams who is the flight ticket owner?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted