We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Australia to Dallas, USA via Vancouver

4 posts
Travel from Australia to Dallas, USA via Vancouver

Hey guys,

So this is my first time travel to the US transiting through Canada, obviously I didn't expect that I need a transit visa for it, I know I should have just booked my ticket with Qantas for a seamless travel.

Right after I booked my ticket with Air Canada I realized this problem and right away apply for a transit visa from the beginning of October. My flight will be connected through Vancouver international airport.

I am on student visa living in Melbourne, holding vietnamese passport and of course I have a valid US visa. It has been mostly 2 months since I applied for the transit visa so I'm on fire. My flight is on the 24th of DEC.

So if anyone has any idea about if I do need a transit visa for my trip or experience of applying for this type of visa please share your thoughts. Much appreciation.

Cheers,

8 replies to this topic
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
1,430 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: Travel from Australia to Dallas, USA via Vancouver

I have only one question:

Why the HECK would you go to Dallas through Vancouver? You can get a direct flight to DFW from MEL?

You may need a transit visa. You need to be asking the Canadian authorities, not us.

4 posts
2. Re: Travel from Australia to Dallas, USA via Vancouver

I didn't expect I would need a transit visa, Ive done transiting a few times, not in Canada but other countries and never get required one.

Now I know I should have not, at the time when I was looking for the ticket, I got pretty good price for the ticket with air canada while I needed to spend like 1k extra with qantas. The previous trip I flew directly with qantas from sydney to dallas no problem, I should have done the same.

Also, I know I may need a transit visa, and checked my eligibility so I applied for one, but still my application is in process. different websites say differently about wether or not I do need a transit visa so Im a bit confused now, hence I posted it for help from anyone who has experienced the same.

Thanks for your response anyway.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,833 posts
149 reviews
3. Re: Travel from Australia to Dallas, USA via Vancouver

Different websites say different things so you rather ask a bunch of strangers?

Check the Canadian Consulate Site for the official answer or immigration Canada.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
696 posts
4. Re: Travel from Australia to Dallas, USA via Vancouver

If you are holding Vietnamese passport, you will be required to obtain a Canadian transit visa before boarding the flight to Vancouver. Please contact High Commission of Canada in Australia to discuss the visa issues.

4 posts
5. Re: Travel from Australia to Dallas, USA via Vancouver

Ive asked since i thought some people have gone through the same situation and they may share me their experiences. Pardon me but did you read my post, i did apply for one myself already, clearly i did my research, its just i cant sit still waiting im worried.

4 posts
6. Re: Travel from Australia to Dallas, USA via Vancouver

I did, i already applied for one, thanks for the info tho. Since the processing time is so long and has passed the normal waiting time, even when i emailed them they told me to wait so im a bit furious, im asking hoping somebody has gone through same situation sharing some exp w me.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
4,292 posts
7. Re: Travel from Australia to Dallas, USA via Vancouver

Well, with that much worry it is probably time to do more than "email" Here's a list of all the Canadian Embassies in Australia, address & phone numbers. https:/…canada_in_australia

Unfortunately it appears Melbourne has been closed, but this was the address & phone number which may still be live.

Canadian Consulate

Address: Floor 1 123 Camberwell Road, Hawthorn East 3123

Phone: +61 3 9811 9999

I'd have your details to hand and start giving someone a phone call, or a formal letter, or it may even take a visit.

good luck

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,610 posts
312 reviews
8. Re: Travel from Australia to Dallas, USA via Vancouver

I would look into what help Air Canada can be...a conversation. Maybe you can get a voucher or cash back minus fees.

https:/…frequently-asked-questions.html

Find out if there is some other trip you can use the voucher for, like a Star Alliance flight ticketed by Air Canada. There is a section about unused tickets.

Reply to: Travel from Australia to Dallas, USA via Vancouver
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted