We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So I got this response from LOT (Middle name)

Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
So I got this response from LOT (Middle name)

Hi everyone,

I'm afraid I must ask the old missing middle name on ticket but appears on passport question. I know everyone always says they've never had a problem, but I guess I'm the type that always expects the worst.

So I asked the airline directly and got this ambiguous response:

I kindly inform you, that the passenger is obligated to have the same information in both passport and his/her reservation. Otherwise, we give no guarantee, that he/she is going to be able to get on a plane. If you would like to make sure about it, then it may be possible to change the name for a penalty of 250 PLN, but only if this request is going to be accepted by a proper department.

We kindly ask you to keep all previous messages. Maintaining correspondence history will help us accelerate our processing of your case.

Best regards,

Mikołaj Wójcik

LOT Polish Airlines S.A.

What should I make of it?

Are they just trying to squeeze a few extra bucks or is it a real issue that should concern me?

Thanks.

22 replies to this topic
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
21,393 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So I got this response from LOT (Middle name)

I don't have a middle name so don't have this issue, but my partner does have a middle name and we have never used it for any flights we have booked on several airlines. It's up to you if you want to pay the fee to add your middle name to the booking, if it was me, I wouldn't as long as the first and last names are spelt correctly.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,804 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So I got this response from LOT (Middle name)

So what would you like us to say ?

In today’s world people post on Twitter and Facebook and Snapchat what they ate, where they went, who they hang out with , how they feel in great detail

But when it comes to their airline tickets where most airline websites say — Name on ticket must match that on passport and most passports have Given Name and Last/surname on them and not Middle Name.

Why is it hard to type in that info while purchasing a ticket ? Why ?

And then you want us — strangers to tell you what to do — when the airline is telling you what all airlines say. - Match info on passport with ticket

So again what do you want us to say ?

Most say Middle Name does not matter. So there you to. Tell them TA says Middle Name does not matter.

Edited: 24 November 2017, 05:30
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: So I got this response from LOT (Middle name)

I'm usually very pedantic when it comes to these things. Here however it was a complex situation in which I booked for my kid brother who himself was not aware of even having a middle name. Only later when his passport was issued we found out.

I should have waited for the passport first but I got a bargain price and was worried it might go up.

250 PLN is more than I paid for the ticket.

The thing is, they are being a bit mysterious. They don't say you must pay to change the name. They're saying pay if you want to be sure and maybe if the department agrees we'll change tge name. Strange...

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, has anyone ever actually been refused boarding because of this? From what I've searched I only found about cases with a Vietnamese airline, but they warn in advance of the importance of the middle name due to cultural reasons(I'm guessing many people in that region have similar names).

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,444 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So I got this response from LOT (Middle name)

I am not sure what you would like to hear from us. You have been told and repeated that you will not have a problem. The airline has no choice but to issue that statement, otherwise they would get sued.

So if you choose to disagree with us then go ahead and spend the money.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,505 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: So I got this response from LOT (Middle name)

But when it comes to their airline tickets where most airline websites say — Name on ticket must match that on passport and most passports have Given Name and Last/surname on them and not Middle Name.

-------------------

Very sweeping statement there about passports. Mine, and all my family member's passports have first, middle and last name on it, so not sure where you are getting your theory that "most passports" do not have middle name.

In any case, I have flown hundreds of times without middle name on my airline ticket and never an issue. A few times the middle name has been on the ticket.

Does not matter either way.

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: So I got this response from LOT (Middle name)

My passport also has a middle name. In many hundreds of flights with dozens of airlines, I have never once entered my middle name on the ticket. Never once was the lack of a middle name on the ticket even questioned.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,731 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: So I got this response from LOT (Middle name)

The airline just gave you an automated response. This doesn't mean anything at all. I never put my middle name on the tickets and I have never had an issue.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,551 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: So I got this response from LOT (Middle name)

My passport has a middle name. I never use it on my airline ticket. I have never had any problem. My more recent trips are to Portland,San Antonio, London, Barcelona, Rome, Tel Aviv and Morocco.

Edited: 24 November 2017, 07:53
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,335 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: So I got this response from LOT (Middle name)

I believe that you asked and answered your question in reply #3.

Happy Travels

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,661 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: So I got this response from LOT (Middle name)

Didn't we just cover this... my response on the other thread was roughly "no one cares about your middle name".

Technically your info needs to match your passport, apparently not word for word. Also, there are a number of people that don't have middle names... typical in quite a few places.

Reply to: So I got this response from LOT (Middle name)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted