We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easyjet fares

Waterlooville
Level Contributor
51 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Easyjet fares

Easyjet have just released Autumn 2018 seats. Great. Went to book to find there is premium for travelling on your own. I was quoted £49 to Corfu and told three left at this price. Out of curiosity I asked for 4 seats as this should show me what the next price band will be. There fare went down to £34 each. Not a fluke as I tested some other routes too. Never spotted this before. Do cinemas do this too?

13 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easyjet fares

It's due to the booking fee of £15. It's charged once per booking, regardless of the number of passengers or flights on the booking. So if you book for several people, the average cost will be lower.

South of England
Level Contributor
1,720 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easyjet fares

If you read a little further down the web page with the fare grid you would have seen this -

"An administration fee of £15 is included in your booking. This has been divided across the number of passengers travelling and included in the fare price."

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easyjet fares

Although the prices you post don't quite add up. Can you tell us which flight exactly you are looking at? I tried a couple of dummy bookings and the prices were as expected once you took the booking fee out of the equation.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,332 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easyjet fares

Hmm. Not sure about the maths here.

£49 less £15 is £34. So that's the base fare less the booking fee.

If what you are saying is correct, the fare for four people would be £37.75 each (34 x 4 + 15 ÷ 4), not £34.

Any other theories?

Edited: 22 November 2017, 14:04
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easyjet fares

"Any other theories?"

The OP's numbers are slightly off would be my guess.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,332 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easyjet fares

Probably. But it is actually true that there is a premium for travelling on your own, which goes down for each passenger added.

In the OP's example a solo passenger would pay £49 while two passengers travelling together would pay only £41.50 each, and a group of three would pay £39 each. However you calculate or justify it, that is a premium (ie an extra cost per ticket) for travelling alone or in a smaller group as far as I'm concerned.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easyjet fares

"However you calculate or justify it, that is a premium (ie an extra cost per ticket) for travelling alone or in a smaller group as far as I'm concerned."

Yep. I don't think anyone is disputing that.

London, United...
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Easyjet fares

I used to get a bit irked by this: All the offers on adverts or their website do mention "based on 2 people sharing the same booking". So yes the difference is the administration charge but as a solo traveller I always feel as if I am being penalised as the price on the booking page always starts "higher" than what I saw advertised. Most other airlines I use advertise their prices as PP.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Easyjet fares

"Most other airlines I use advertise their prices as PP."

But most other airlines also don't charge a flat booking fee.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,332 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Easyjet fares

"But most other airlines also don't charge a flat booking fee."

Many don't charge a booking fee at all.

Reply to: Easyjet fares
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted