We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage on Ryanair

Hampshire, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Luggage on Ryanair

So my case that I'm taking with me is 2cm in depth bigger that what Ryan air states do you think this matters?

16 replies to this topic
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage on Ryanair

Only the Ryanair agent at the time of travel can tell you.

Best to stick with bags that meet their stated size requirements.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
45,961 posts
1,452 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage on Ryanair

At about 3/4” more, it might, or might not get spotted??

As mentioned, it could get down to the agent involved on that day.

Not sure if RyanAir uses sizing cages, but if they do, that might also catch you.

Best of luck,

Hunt

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
16,322 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage on Ryanair

So.....I would stick to the dimensions allowed by Ryanair,.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
5,133 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luggage on Ryanair

Ryanair do use sizing cages, they have them at each gate. Now they won't necessarily put bags in them every time, you'll find people who say they've never had their baggage checked, and others who say it is checked every time. Probably depends on which airports they use and which agents are on shift.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
8,396 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luggage on Ryanair

Well as long as you know the fee for it being gate checked if caught and are happy to pay it

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,524 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Luggage on Ryanair

if stopped just tell them Unclegus on TA said it would be ok, that will work won't it?

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
22,119 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luggage on Ryanair

unclegus, your ears must ring permanently! At any given moment, there must be somebody in some airport across the globe at a boarding gate or check in counter arguing with ground staff, stating that it's OK to break the rules because unclegus said so. ;-)

SWT

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
37,411 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Luggage on Ryanair

If it's 2cm on the long dimension it might not fit in the overheads the correct way so taking up space for another bag. It will sure get spotted by the cabin crew if that's the case (no pun intended).

Kenitra, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,062 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Luggage on Ryanair

It will only matter if they put it in the measuring cage at the gate. You will be required to pay a fee £50 on the spot or the bag doesn't travel. Even for 2cm.

Most on here recommend you take the right size case by following the airlines rules.

If they don't put it in the cage your likely to be fine and take it.

It's random which flights they will check bags.

Be prepared to pay the fee at least if you still decide to take the case and not to argue over the 2cm if you are required to pay the fee as rules are rules and you know the penalties if you break the rules 👍

Edited: 21 November 2017, 16:29
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,524 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Luggage on Ryanair

SussexWorldtraveller , yes all the time but when you are as famous as I am you get used to it.

Reply to: Luggage on Ryanair
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted