We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryanair FR4052 diverted from Faro to Lisbon

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
16,155 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Ryanair FR4052 diverted from Faro to Lisbon

My wife caught flight FR4052 on 11/10/17 from Manchester to Faro. This was the day after the French air traffic control strike. The flight from Faro to Manchester was delayed by 75 minutes and the return Manchester to Faro flight was about 70 minutes late taking off. I went from our house in Spain to Faro airport to collect her and the arrivals board showed the flight due to land at 00:20 (against a scheduled landing time of 23:30). When the flight was a few miles north of Faro at about 00:05 it suddenly turned north and landed in Lisbon. At Lisbon Ryanair's agents provided nothing for passengers. No offer of hotels and no food or drink or vouchers. They were told to sleep on the airport benches and to meet at 09:00 for an update. My wife, along with three fellow passengers, eventually took a taxi to Faro arriving seven hours after the scheduled arrival time.

As previous questions have mentioned, Ryanair's compensation form does not cater for people who proceeded with the original flight, but arrive over three hours late!

As a matter of interest the same flight the day before (10/10/17) at the height of the strike was nearly two hours late leaving Manchester and according to Flight Radar 24 flew over the Atlantic well to the west of French airspace landing in Faro at 01:30 or so (late, but not late enough for compensation). My wife's flight actually followed its usual course flying across the Brest peninsular. It was heading to Faro until the very end of the journey (it had flown well past Lisbon) and Faro airport seemed to be expecting it.

Can anyone tell me if this is a cut and dried case for €400 EU 261 compensation and should she also be able to claim back her share of the taxi fare? Can we claim for my second journey from Spain to Faro to pick her up when she finally arrived?

22 replies to this topic
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
8,478 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ryanair FR4052 diverted from Faro to Lisbon

It all depends on why the plane diverted to Lisbon instead of landing at Faro.

Level Contributor
5,285 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ryanair FR4052 diverted from Faro to Lisbon

I always find it funny when ppl come in here to ask about compo, but seemingly always forget to add the part about why the plane was either late or diverted, without which we would have no idea if they are due any compo or not.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
16,155 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ryanair FR4052 diverted from Faro to Lisbon

We have no idea why the plane was diverted. Apart from sending a letter summarising EU261 regulations Ryanair provided no other information or assistance. The pilot said they had diverted as Faro airport was closed. But the airport arrivals board showed the flight was expected at 00:20 and the previous night the same flight had landed over an hour later. The problem is that obtaining information is nigh on impossible!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,674 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ryanair FR4052 diverted from Faro to Lisbon

I plugged your flight details into the bott & co engine (ambulance chasing lawyers) and they indicate that you'd be eligible for compo. No indication of why the flight was delayed. You can check yourself but, unless you want to be harassed by numerous follow up emails pestering to use them, provide a fake name and email address.

And there is no need to use an ambulance chasing lawyer. As the flight was from the UK you can use alternative dispute resolution if RyanAir denies your claim. The approved ADR provider handling RyanAir is AviationADR - https://www.aviationadr.org.uk

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
16,155 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ryanair FR4052 diverted from Faro to Lisbon

Many thanks for that. Kind of you to go the extra mile. We have never made any form of claim before, but I am sure Ryanair (who I use almost monthly) will find every excuse to avoid paying out. Do you happen to know if there are any reasonable timescales in which an airline has to respond to a compensation request?

Is it worth contacting Faro Airport to ask them to indicate why the plane, whose late arrival they had scheduled, was forced to divert?

My wife is worried that having made her own way to Faro rather than wait for Ryanair to act (and actually getting to Faro 3 hours before Ryanair were calling their meeting with passengers in Lisbon) they will refuse to consider her expenses claim. Can they do this?

UK
Level Contributor
1,366 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ryanair FR4052 diverted from Faro to Lisbon

I seriously doubt that a flight would divert from Faro to Lisbon for any reason other than a problem with the airfield. Were any other flights landing or departing around the time of the divert?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,674 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ryanair FR4052 diverted from Faro to Lisbon

"Do you happen to know if there are any reasonable timescales in which an airline has to respond to a compensation request?"

=========

It's all on the AviationADR website. You can only file a claim if the airline hasn't responded in 8 weeks or their final response is unacceptable and you are on deadlock.

As for the question re your wife making her own way to Faro I wouldn't know. I actually don't agree with the EU261 flight delay compo (which wasn't actually in the original 261 law but was added by court cases) so I've never claimed out of principle (I've had two 24 hour delays out of Heathrow on my own paid flights). I would think that as your wife would have been delayed beyond the threshold she'd be eligible anyway. And as she had substantial out of pocket expenses getting there I certainly wouldn't begrudge you for claiming.

Btw, IIRC the compo for that flight length is €400.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,674 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ryanair FR4052 diverted from Faro to Lisbon

"I seriously doubt that a flight would divert from Faro to Lisbon for any reason other than a problem with the airfield. Were any other flights landing or departing around the time of the divert?"

=========

Good point and worth checking. But RyanAir is known for flying with the minimum amount of fuel to safely operate the flight. That's for low cost; you burn more fuel carrying the extra weight of additional fuel. It's not unsafe but it means they're more likely to have to divert to another airport earlier than circle for an extra hour.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ryanair FR4052 diverted from Faro to Lisbon

The airport's operating hours are 06;00 to 24:00. It appears that the flight in question was due to arrive after this time. There can be dispensation to stay open but would be dependent upon there being the necessary staff working, ATC, fire etc. And there will be other rules.

My guess was that Ryanair was either hoping to make it before 24:00 or that the airport would stay open. Aircraft do not turn around and divert for no good reason, there's also a plateful of passengers hoping to take the return flight. Whether the airport being closed counts as extraordinary I don't know.

As for there being no staff at LIS is perfectly understandable as this flight was not expected and there would be no staff just waiting for a possible diversion. Ryanair use contracted staff.

My feeling there will be a fight to get EU262 compo even if there is an entitlement. It may well be that it's outside Ryanair's control and not payable.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
16,155 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ryanair FR4052 diverted from Faro to Lisbon

A flight from Frankfurt landed at 00:05. The arrivals board at Faro showed the Manchester flight was expected at 00:20. The previous day the same flight landed at 01:30 at Faro. My best supposition is that the day before Ryanair (and maybe other airlines) had agreed with Faro to pay to keep the airport open as the French air traffic control strike had delayed many flights. On 11 October Ryanair had failed, presumably at the last minute, to negotiate (a fee?) to keep the airport open for another 15 minutes and had diverted. Although I fail to see how the costs of diversion could have saved them money. IMO this is not an extraordinary circumstance (such as a closure due to a runway problem or a diversion because of an aircraft fault), but a failure in the relationship between the airline and the plane’s hub airport. I certainly feel a strong urge to pursue this if Ryanair claim extraordinary circumstances.

Regarding Lisbon airport being closed. I accept that no airport shoos were open, but under regulations Ryanair have a duty to provide refreshments. This happened to me years ago with another airline and their staff went to a garage and brought back bottles of water and snacks. As this was an overnight delay Ryanair through their agents also had a duty to provide hotel accommodation, but did nothing about this. As Lisbon is presumably the automatic diversion airport for Faro, where Ryanair have a major hub, they should have had strong contingency plans in place for when such a diversion occurs,

Reply to: Ryanair FR4052 diverted from Faro to Lisbon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted