We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are you subject to dress code on paid or upgrades to first?

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Are you subject to dress code on paid or upgrades to first?

Obviously, if you're on employee travel, you need to dress nice but what about just normal people who pay for their first class or receive an elite upgrade? am I out of line for wearing a raccoon hoodie with ears and big fluffy tail?

37 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
15,922 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Are you subject to dress code on paid or upgrades to first?

"Really surprised Lex didn't realise that."

Because it wasn't clear that's what the OP meant :)

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,806 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Are you subject to dress code on paid or upgrades to first?

Hi,

On the revenue-passenger said goes, none of the US carriers have explicit dress codes for any cabin... but... they can deny travel if your dress (or lack thereof) is deemed either to be: a) a safety/security issue or b) is inimical to the orderly operations of the carrier.

Common examples of safety/security disqualifications would be boarding without any shoes or other footwear.. occasionally on flights from the Hawai'ian islands to the US mainland, a person may try to board without shoes, sandals or slippers... Normally carriers require you to have some form of footwear to board.

I am aware of, but have no direct knowledge of, some carriers in the middle/near Middle East region who may deny travel to someone wearing (or lack of clothing) that is deemed by staff to be offensive to religious sensitivities, when such behavior travel is to/from a country where there is a national dressing code or similar governmental imposition.

On the non-revenue side... Most ALL carriers have some form of dress code - notably for any premium cabin... for the Y cabin, the norm tends to be much more liberal, but usually excludes wearing attire that is principally designed for "beach, gym, swim" use and similar attire. Shorts like walking shorts, denim and such are usually allowed.. as is most forms of footwear, but many prohibit footwear that is less than sandals (like slippers) T-shirts tend to be ok in Y, with polo-style and collared being the standard in any premium cabin.

I don't know of any carriers that require "suit and tie" as a matter of rule..

Travel Safe,

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,595 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Are you subject to dress code on paid or upgrades to first?

Well OP if you look as cute as this little fellow in his hoody I'ld say go for it :)

https:/…

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Are you subject to dress code on paid or upgrades to first?

My daughter and I were flying home on the same plane. She had arranged for me to fly first class while she was in economy. The person at the desk said that they were offering upgrades but only to people not wearing jeans. And she checked my daughter's pants which were jeans. So, no upgrade.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,367 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Are you subject to dress code on paid or upgrades to first?

My partner (LH crew) bought a staff rate ticket with KLM and was refused at check in desk (AMS)as he was not in jacket and tie. He went to another desk and there was no problem !

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,595 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Are you subject to dress code on paid or upgrades to first?

"And she checked my daughter's pants ."

sorry but that made me smile pants to me are underwear not jeans or trousers no one checks my pants :)

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Are you subject to dress code on paid or upgrades to first?

No, it's this hoodie

https:/…racanooki-costume-hoodie

I wear it every chance I can

Edited: 22 October 2017, 04:35
Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,534 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Are you subject to dress code on paid or upgrades to first?

Guess we all have our favorite outfits, but personally I wouldn't be wearing this even once. I imagine it will get quite a few stares, especially in FC.Too each his/her own.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Are you subject to dress code on paid or upgrades to first?

I just realized it's on sale. I need a backup!

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,800 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Are you subject to dress code on paid or upgrades to first?

how old are you?

:)

Reply to: Are you subject to dress code on paid or upgrades to first?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted